Trying to keep it simple using a stain for the first time ever on a cbg neck only. The body is tin. I bought a small can of miniwax wood finish to try. I'm not looking for a super shine or gloss but just a protection /sealant for the poplar neck. I used a scrap piece of wood and it seems ok ...I just don't want sticky and to seal. I also don't want a spray and want to keep cost down. Any advice ? Should I just go for the miniwax? I was even thinking olive oil but think that might spoil too quick Thank you.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I get great results with Danish oil. Nice smooth, low gloss finish and not sticky at all. Comes in different colors or natural. A little pricey to buy, but a little goes a long way, so per neck it does not cost much at all. Easy and forgiving to apply too, just wipe on, let it sit, wipe off, repeat. You really can't make a mistake with it (unless maybe you have a stoggy hanging out of yer mouth, it is flammable.

• not really.....the odors leaves..stain remains.LOL

• I,ve done it once..i sanded in between coats  twice..lightly.. :) But perk coffee cold...wrks

• Pics by any chance....??

• First pic is the neck with miniwax 1 coat...I put bushings on a put all the tuners in a row...this is my only 2nd cbg with tuners and I'm not sure what's up with the overall design but it look ok I guess...
        Second pic is a disaster....no tools but a rusty coping saw...might abandon ..

image.jpg

• That's sounds interesting ...does it smell like coffee after doing this?
  • Start with a small can a Minwax Natural. There's enough to do about 15 or more necks with a few coats each. I've used it on every neck either straight or blended with other stains. No need to clear coat. Just make sure you wipe it down real good every so often after it's applied.

• Thank you. Do I sand a second time and repeat...?
      • I don't sand between coats but that's just me. I spend a lot of time sanding the neck before stain though.

This reply was deleted.