I'm working on building a simple battery powered mini-amp to play my CBG's through. Inspired by the creations of nation member smojo, which he displayed at the recent UK fest in Birmingham, I'm experimenting with designs based on an LM386 integrated circuit. These tiny chips allow the construction of some amazingly compact yet great sounding amps (some of smojo's elegant little amps are shoehorned into very small tins).

I've found a lot of useful information at the websites of Beavis Audio (http://www.beavisaudio.com - see the "Smokey" and "Cricket amps") and runoffgrove (http://www.runoffgroove.com - info on "Little Gem" and "Ruby" amps). I've also investigated Maplin's LM386-based 1w mini amp and I downloaded the LM386 datasheet from National Semiconductor. However there are still a few things I'm struggling to figure out (either because they aren't well covered by the sources I've found or, more likely, because my electronics knowledge isn't sufficient). I wonder if any nation members have worked with these circuits and if so whether they can provide answers.

Firstly, some designs have a capacitor wired between pin 7 of the LM386 and ground (in fact the only design I can see where it's omitted is the Little Gem). The only description or explanation I can find is on the LM386 data sheet where pin 7 is described as "bypass". Any idea what they mean by "bypass" and what effect it might have on the sound of an amp if this is connected to ground via different capacitance values?

Also, I note some designs have a capacitor on the input (eg. Little Gem) while others don't (eg. Smokey and Maplin 1w). My first build doesn't have an input cap (partly because it was based on a Maplin PCB for convenience) and it seems OK. Can you suggest any reasons either in favour of or against adding an input cap?

Views: 7831

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you could always do some experiments with different valued caps on a breadboard without having to solder anything.
Hi, When I try to see the photo I get "You need to be a friend of Junk Box Instruments to do that" - Just call me Billy-no-mates(LOL). Good luck with the LM386 - Have tried various circuits and found the smokey schematic sounded as good as the more complicated versions.

Regards, David
Sorry the pic wasn't accessible - I've changed my account settings so hopefully my pics ae now visible to all.

I think you're probably right about the simple approach, the LM386 seems to be a robust little package which needs very little to turn it into a workable amp. The aspect of amp design that's causing me most problem at the moment is not the electronics (which I think I've figured out) but the enclosures. Tin cans are neat but I'm finding they can have some unfortunate vibration modes which cause annoying buzzes at higher volumes. I've found ways of sorting the problem but I think I'll also be experimenting with alterantive boxes.

David Lloyd said:
Hi,
When I try to see the photo I get
"You need to be a friend of Junk Box Instruments to do that" - Just call me Billy-no-mates(LOL).
Good luck with the LM386 - Have tried various circuits and found the smokey schematic sounded as good as the more complicated versions.
Regards,
David
Check out the magic 8ball on my page. If you can find it, get the "mystic" 8-ball kind. It has sort of threads around the equator of the ball that makes disassembly easier(I think. Don't have the "magic" brand here)
http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/albums/magic-8ball-amp

The end result doesn't rattle at all and the window bit works excellently as an opening for a speaker.

Basically you can use just about anything. I was thinking of using a flower pot or a glass jar to make one.
Just make friends with him like I did.
David Lloyd said:
Hi,

When I try to see the photo I get
"You need to be a friend of Junk Box Instruments to do that" - Just call me Billy-no-mates(LOL).
Good luck with the LM386 - Have tried various circuits and found the smokey schematic sounded as good as the more complicated versions.

Regards,
David
Hi Hoggs Grunt,

A very good suggestion that is now done.

A very nice amp. Do you find the 9v battery lasts OK with the 7w output?

Regards,
David
Actually battery life was something I had doubts about, but the first battery seems to be lasting OK so far. Only time will tell for sure.

David Lloyd said:

A very nice amp. Do you find the 9v battery lasts OK with the 7w output?

Regards,
David
8 watt amp

has anyone tried this? a friend of mine found it on the yahoo cigar box forum, but the pinout of the lm386 doesn't match up with it. is it a waste of parts?
http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM386.pdf
That diagram you posted looks like a variation of the lm386 amps, except the diagram is mis-labeled. 12v into pin 8 will let the smoke out, and it wont work without its smoke. 12v is the max voltage on a 386 chip (most variants), I dont see it putting out 8 watts, the N-4 variant only puts out 1000mw@16v.

These chips are less than a dollar each, you get a dollar's worth of fun playing it loud for a minute and watching it smoke....

Michael Gajeski said:
8 watt amp

has anyone tried this? a friend of mine found it on the yahoo cigar box forum, but the pinout of the lm386 doesn't match up with it. is it a waste of parts?
Lmao... He was talking like he had actually built one until I showed him the data sheet... then the story changed.

Jkevn said:
http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM386.pdf
That diagram you posted looks like a variation of the lm386 amps, except the diagram is mis-labeled. 12v into pin 8 will let the smoke out, and it wont work without its smoke. 12v is the max voltage on a 386 chip (most variants), I dont see it putting out 8 watts, the N-4 variant only puts out 1000mw@16v.

These chips are less than a dollar each, you get a dollar's worth of fun playing it loud for a minute and watching it smoke....

Michael Gajeski said:
8 watt amp

Just a thought. If you are really just looking for a practice amp... I use this one:
http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/
I then plug in headphones or plug it into my home stereo's 'Line In.' I can play it through just about anything...
It sounds great and is really compact. But, if you are trying to build a small amp to fit into a similar Cigar Box, you may be better off buying a phono amplifier and wiring in some pots and a jack from Radio Shack...
ive just made one with one of these, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAKE-YOUR-OWN-CIGAR-BOX-TIN-CHOC-BOX-GUITAR-A..., you just connect your vol/tone to the output jack ,make a hole for the speaker in your guitar box,add a 9v battery and away you go.Its not the loudest but its certainly louder than an acoustic guitar

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->