Cbgitty economy tuners are always pretty nice. Has anyone here used them on a lap steel and tried turning them sideways? Any advantages or disadvantages to a sideways tuner when it come to a lap steel. My kid asked me about sideways tuners on a lap steel and not having to cut away headstock...instead glue/drill wood and go sideways ? I didn't know what to say so I'm posting here. Thanks

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The straightest line with the string is the best, not just for tuning up but when played the string encounters friction. Even when tuned, when playing, any abrasion can cause string breakage and or drag when tuning.

• Did I confuse string break angle over the nut with string guide to the tuners?  My Bad.

Extreme direction change after the nut can be an issue, but a little change will be okay. I.E. - A 3x3 - 2x2 - 2x1 headstock will have a slight angle to the tuners and won't be a problem unless the tuners are way far apart.

• I've used them on some pallet wood diddley bows (see my picture page). I drilled the big hole for them using a Forstner bit. The main issue was setting up screws to use as string guides to insure tuning stability and to avoid string buzz.

• The guitars with a slanted heastock(3x3) to the right angle won't need string retainers to achieve the right break angle over the nut. But, guitars with lower stepped headstocks(like Fender style) will require retainers for the longer/high strings due to the 6 inline tuner setup loosing break angle on the longer/high strings.

• So if you side mount tuners, it's less likely to need string retainers because of greater break angle. Especially if the headstock is stepped or slanted.

This reply was deleted.