I broke the blade off a shovel recently and was going to toss the whole thing out, but I realized that the handle is actually a pretty nice piece of wood and would make an interesting CBG neck.

This is more of a woodworking question, but: If I wanted to create a long flat notch - basically flatten down the length of the fretboard and where the stick would go through the body - what's the best technique for that? Especially if I'm trying to be fairly precise on the flatness?

I've thought of using a bandsaw, table saw, or jigsaw, but I don't have confidence that I'd be able to guarantee flatness and a planar surface on the cut-out part.

I should mention that the handle has a taper to it, so it's not just a straight cylinder...

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It sounds like you're trying to get a bit more complex... but I broke a pitchfork recently and made this out of the handle. https://cigarboxnation.com/video/the-diddley-fork-build-demo

It's simple but it sounds pretty darn good.

• Sean,

A router sled would be the easiest and safest way to make a flat area on any odd or round shaped  piece of wood. Once you have a flattened surface you can use whatever tool you choose to square up the rest. But I would use a bandsaw for that part.

This reply was deleted.