You know the way the neck as it enters the box is typically touching the top (soundboard, right?) the entire way?  I don't take the neck through the back of the box, i use a mandolin tailpiece so I just screw it into the end of the box under the mandolin hinge.  

I'm thinking that the neck does impart some vibration most of it must come from the bridge itself.  So i was thinking maybe I should give the soundboard more free space to vibrate and trim away some of the wood from the neck that would touch the top.  I leave a good inch where the bridge would be (like a bracer) and a 1/4 inch where the neck enters and hits the back end.  Where i cut away, it would only be enough to let the top soundboard vibrate without hitting it, say 1/8 deep cut.

Has anyone done this?  Does it make sense to try?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• more    views  on this topic

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/forum/topics/neck-touching-inside-of-...

• I remove 1/16" from the top of the neck where it sits inside the box so there is no contact between the soundboard and the neck.  

• The top will vibrate more without the neck-thru touching the entire top. This will not make a good tone difference if your top is made of cheap plywood or that pressed board stuff that resembles cardboard.

If you want the best sounding acoustic CBG, your going to have to use the best quality materials and the same construction you would find in a acoustic guitar. Then again, the best sounding acoustic wouldn't be a small rectangular box shaped body.

• Well I tried the hollow out except for a section under the bridge and honestly, I think it's made it more muted and dull.  For what it's worth.  My next two builds are electric and resonator so thank goodness i don't have to ponder again for a while.

• Under the bridge is exactly where you want the most vibration.  Hollow the neck out in that area as well.

• The way you described your neck is exactly the way Shane Speal King of the CBG describes building his necks one of his instructional videos. Including the brace under the bridge.
  • Personally, I always leave about a 1/4" space between neck and box lid, only touching about 1/4" at the ends.

I've also glued a Popsicle stick or tongue depressor across the bottom of the lid right under the bridge to strengthen thin tops and maybe it's my imagination,.. but it seems to make the sound "pop". ;-)

• In reading all the various scenarios presented here, I know exactly what I am going to do on the one I am currently working on... tks..  I  think ..maybe.. perhaps.. anyway its all good, I think.....................

• this  topic  comes  up alot  ,, and  you  will  have      some  folks  say  a    space   between  the  lid and   neck  is  better  ..   others  say    glued   right  to  the  top  is  better  and the   whole  guitar    is solid  and vibrates  .  . 

and    in  another  thread   ,( almost  as  in  a  perfect  world ) ,   someone that  actually  built  2  guitars  the  same  ,  same  box, scale  ,  and all ,    except  one  with a space,  and  one  without  ,    said  ..  he  really  couldn't  tell  the  difference    but  leaned  on  the     solid  glued  right  to  the    lid   sounding, and feeling  better  .

so  there's   your    "hummmm"  answer   for the  day   .  ;-)

• well there 's the big compromise that keeps our threads going, honestly I've tried every way there is and an acoustic  build  is completely different from an electric, two different animals but the neck should still bear all the stress, otherwise it will be very difficult to keep in tune :-)

as in most things there are a lot of variables ;-)

This reply was deleted.