I've been experimenting with making a short scale bass (18 to 20 inch) using plastic strings. I wanted a compact acoustic bass that used a resonator to give some tone to the low E string without an amp. I've had some success and failures over the last year and I think what I've made so far qualifies as cigar box, but without the cigar box as I can't find anything big enough to take a resonator.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What size cone are you wanting to use?
    CBGitty sells 5.5" and 7" cones.
    Stewmac has a 9.5" cone for 30 dollars.

The 5.5" and 7" could be used for Cigar Boxes easily.

A Silverware Box or Jewelry Box could be used for larger cones or you'll need to make a box.

• Thanks - I've tried several alternatives to a resonator cone and recently found that rigid works as well as flexible - maybe better. The mixing bowl in the bass illustrated is rigid steel and produces bass resonances without as much top end that thinner metal gives. I visit charity shops on the lookout for suitable resonators and this is the best so far and cost £1.49.

The guys who produced the first 18 inch scale electric bass back in the eighties used silicon strings and a bridge transducer. Acoustically it sounded terrible. It was straight physics - the strings vibrated at the right frequency and the transducer did the work. They called it the Ashbory bass and sold it to Fender.

I want to get a realistic sound out of the plastic strings without a transducer.
  • Use a Cookie Tin or Gas Can instead. No need to use a cone that way.

• Paul's right you know, I used a giant Cookie Tin for my last bass and it worked a treat.

Are you building something like this:

DSCF0536.JPG

• looks great.

This reply was deleted.