Replies

• You can do some rough shaping while the nut is still off the guitar, but mostly you have to do it while it's glued on. I do this on "real" guitars too. I use a small flat file to get the outside shape rounded off, and nut slot files to file the slots. I mainly use bone. I also use feeler gauges while filing so I don't go too deep. It takes awhile to get it just right.

For beginners, I would suggest using Micarta. It's easy to work and still sounds good.

• I think making the nut is one of the hardest and most important parts. I too use a very fine saw to "rough cut" the slots, then use round files (welder tip cleaners) to fit to the strings. It takes a long time and it's easy to mess up other stuff, like the face of the head stock.

• Here's something to try with that tone pot. See:  cigarboxnation.com/forum/topics/mixing-piezos (copy. then paste in your browser)  BTW, I actually wound up using a 5 dollar pre-wired magnetic pup kit. Saving my piezoes for a bass.

• I did mine in place. Actually gives you a little needed support. Obviously...protect the surrounding area.

•  No do it while it's in the neck , string the guitar up and position and space the strings on top of the nut , carefully mark and cut the slot , I start with a fine saw then open up the slot to suit each string filling down to the action height I want , then file the top of the nut down so the string sits about half in and half out of the slot , also don't forget to file the slot on a angle towards the tuners , takes a while that's why so many use a bolt or screw for a nut  .

This reply was deleted.