I am wondering if anyone has photos of the build process for a license plate guitar.                               

As I have mentioned in my first thread, I want to build a 6-string version of a license plate guitar. I have had a few really helpful folks share photos of their finished products but, I need to know about the best ways to construct the body and attach the neck for stability and long term sturdiness.

Even drawings of the design would be helpful.

I plan to use this guitar primarily for slide but, I may also play the "regular way" it in standard tuning. So, I need to make sure that I have things put together in the most sturdy way possible.

Thanks all!

-James

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Here are a few photos showing various stages of my recent build and the inside of the box.  Simple butt joint with a basic strap clamp to hold it together while the glue was drying.

glued box.JPG

box ready for neck.JPG

trial fit neck.JPG

• The way you have your box is what I have in mind for mine (I don't like the look of the piece sticking out the end where the strings attach).

But, I also see that you are not doing a through-body neck at all.

I was thinking of a through body neck that has a block at the tail end similar to what you have under the neck in your photos. This would serve two purposes; one- giving support to that end of the neck and two- giving a base to attach the bridge posts to.

Very helpful photos! Thanks!

• Here's a few pictures for reference,. Keep in mind this is my way of doing them.

306183346?profile=RESIZE_480x480

306183574?profile=original

306183608?profile=originalHope this helps, any questions....feel free to ask

• Here are a couple I'm in the process of...

306182209?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Thanks Jawbone!

How do you construct the box section? Is is just plain butt-joints? It doesn't appear to be dove-tailed.

• Butt joint glued with glued triangular gusset inside.

• I could see the triangular pieces. Those would probably be a good idea even with other type of joints. I was thinking of either dove-tail or box joints.

While that is basically what I thought it would look like on the inside it is much better to actually see it than trying to imagine it.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks again Jawbone!

This reply was deleted.