I'm looking to use some screened/mesh grommets for sound hole covers, but it seems the usual grommet-setting process would not work or be appropriate for this kind of usage.

I used a grommet for a sound hole on one previous build and used superglue around the outside face edge to hold it down, but it was very difficult to hold in place and I had some glue press-out that kind of marred the face around the grommet.

Anyone have recommendations for how to secure grommets for sound hole usage?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Some glue choices are gel type glues.  Gorilla superglue gel, Goop is great as a gel adhesive.  I even use JB Weld, which will definitely do the job. 

I only use regular superglue if I want it to absorb into tight places, into the corners, into the grain, it is a good fortifier, etc...

• Hi, I use the methods mentioned above, but put minimal glue on the inside edge of the hole, not on the face of the top. Another way I do it is to crimp the flange inside the grommet with a pair of side cutters to create a tighter grip. With both methods you would need a 'push' fit into the hole, no movement in the hole.

Taff

• The tight fit mentioned by ILL works well along with a dab or two of hot glue. I use these grommets on boxes with this technique and they stay in place.

• I always try make a tight fit. If the diameter is 1 inch I try to make a 15/16 hole or 7/8 and file away. Makes gluing nonexistent. 

• I used a clear epoxy before, it was thick & tacky, so it pretty much held in place while drying? Welcome to the learning process, cheers :D

This reply was deleted.