Here is a little list of possibilities. Two different tunings in two different keys using the same strings. If you use medium gauge strings on a standard scale length, tuning down will be easier on your neck. The numbers are the major scale tones.

1) Standard Strings: EADG

Tune down: DGDG (Key of G 5151)

Tune down: DADf# (Key of D 1513)

2) Standard Strings: ADGB

Tune down: GDGB (Key of G 1513)

Tune down: ADF#A (Key of D 5135)

3) Standard Strings: DGBE

Tune down: DGBD (Key of G 5135)

Tune down: DF#AD (Key of D 1351)

Enjoy, you Tiger's Blood drinking Warlocks. LOL

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you Kevin for your purchase. What I would encourage you to understand is the usefulness of open tuning.

Spanish Tuning (Key of G)

6 string: DGDgbd

5 string: gDgbd (banjo)

4 string: Dgbd (tenor, uke, mandolin)

3 string: GDg or gbd

2 string: GD or Gb

1 string: G

Once you realize the relationships between the strings, your knowledge can be easily applied. Enjoy your practice.   

• Keni thank you very much for clearing that up. I tuned the 4 string I built to what you said
    and have ordered your first CD lesson. Now it is just practice, practice, practice.
    Kevin
  • Hello Kevin,

Open G is DGDgbd low to high. I simply use capitol letters to express the larger wound bass strings. There are never any stupid questions. Always feel free to ask if it  helps to clearify your practice. Thank you for your interest. Enjoy. 
    Kevin Adams said:

I have a question and I hope it is not too stupid. In the "Open G tuning" you have the D capitalized but not the gbd.

Does that mean something? I want to learn to play I just first need to learn to tune the guitar.

Kevin

• I have a question and I hope it is not too stupid. In the "Open G tuning" you have the D capitalized but not the gbd.

Does that mean something? I want to learn to play I just first need to learn to tune the guitar.

Kevin

• Thank you Gary for your comment. Definitely. That is what is good about knowing the tonal numbers of the tunings. It is all relative. I very rarely play in Vestapol tuning in standard Open D (DADf#ad). I usually tune down to the key of C (CGCgce). Not to forget to mention, using a capo and going up into higher pitches adds a great effect too. Tuning to the standard A 440 is not essential. Before electronic tuners, most players just tuned to their voice anyway. Enjoy.  
  • Thank you Wade for your response. Ya, what is neat about the ADF#A (Key of D 5135) tuning is that the finger positions are exactly like tuning #3, which is basically the commonly used 6 string open G tuning DGDGBD / 515135 but in miniature, DGBD (Key of G 5135). You can also tune the B down a half step to B flat (DGBbD) and have a real dark Open G minor tuning. You can also do this with the GDGB tuning (GDGBb) too.  Enjoy.

•  

Thanks Kenni. I tried out tuning#2. Sounds a bit darker and I like it!

• Thank you E D for your comment. Please consider checking out my CD 5 (How to play 4 string CBG) at www.ebay.com by searching: keni lee

In it I teach open G tuning (Dgbd), but it will also help you understand the interval relationship between strings, so if you explore these other tunings they will not seem so different and your knowledge can be applied in exploring them.

Enjoy your practice, Keni Lee 

• Thanks for sharing Keni.  I've was going to do a 2-string for my build that is in process, but I think I'll make it a 4 to try out a copule of your tunings.  I have really enjoyed E5 tuning on my 3 string guitar, but time for something new.
  • Thank you for your comments. Using different gauged strings will give you the option if you want a lower or higher pitched instrument. Enjoy.
This reply was deleted.