Greetings Again Nation......

Another question for those who dabble with scarf joints for the headstock/neck: I don't use power tools exept my dremmel and drill so all my cuts are by hand. But my scarf joint cuts are uneven and require a lot of extra work to make them look decent. Any suggestions on the best type of hand saw to get a straighter/cleaner cut? I've tried a coping saw, laminate saw, a Stanley "Fine Finish" hand saw, and even a hack saw. The only thing left to try that I can see would be one of those Japanese style double-edged saws, or possibly a box saw (which look a lot like the aforementioned Stanley saw). A miter box doesn't give me the angle I need/want for the cuts (looking at 12-15 degree angles). Any thoughts? Unfortunately I don't have access to a table/band/scroll saw- otherwise I'd make my cuts and call it a day!

Any and all comments welcome and appreciated!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If anybody is interested in the Balalaika set of plans that Rand Moore mentioned in his post dated January 31, I have posted the link below.

http://www.luth.org/downloads/Flynn-Balalaika-GAL.pdf

Tom

• don,try this method of making a tipped headstock, you glue the finished edges instead of sawn edges

IMG.pdf

• Well, that makes sense- and I feel rather silly. I will dfinately try that on my next build........ although I do have to admit that I invested in a band saw, which should also help.

• wow well aint this the thread that just wont go away..

ok so ppl got other suggestions, but i thort id tell you this cos noone else did, to make a successful scarf join its essential that your neck is nice and square to begin with, this is far more important even that a nice clean cut..

• I use a hacksaw and clip fretboard pscraps to the neck as guides, they come out straight. Go slow, the cut takes me 15 minutes or more.
  • Hi Donny Bell

My names Leo and i know its a little bit two late to answer this messege but i always cut my scarf joints by hand using a normal irwin jack saw. At first my joints where uneven untill i made a simple jig it only taken an hour and has saven me from hours of stress.

Leo

• Leo, it's never to late! I am always looking for ways to improve my process. I bought a Stanley "Fatmax" hand saw that seems to do really well on the 1 1/2" wide pieces for the neck but not so good on the 3" pieces I cut for the headstock. Do you have any pictures of the jig you made?

• I've done a couple of scarf joints, most recently  on my "Resolution" build, the neck was made from laminated strips of hardwood and the neck American Oak, i used a hacksaw to start off the angled cut and completed it with a full size hand saw, a little smoothing was needed but not much. (-:

RESOLUTION

• I agree with John on the deeper saw being a 'tenon saw'.

The narrower saws are called 'back saws' I believe. That's what my dad called then and it's good enough for me.

Hogs.

• You guys are probably right about the saw names. I've been messing around with wood working for less than 2 years, so what do I know? Or maybe Yanks call them differently, has happened before.

-Rand.

This reply was deleted.