Replies

• Great jig Alan! I can appreciate the simplicity (and, the metal guide!)

Here's my low-tech jig. I don't own a table saw and after doing ~10 scarf joins by ruler line hand-cutting, I threw it together while cutting my 11th:

306695879?profile=original

Quick and easy: sandwich your uncut neck with two scrap pieces, screw/glue them to a base, then cut the neck and the jig together (stopping at the base, of course!)

The first joint I cut with it was *perfect!* if you are using hand tools, you should seriously consider making yourself your own scarf cut jig - it saves a *lot* of time and headaches.

• Yep.  Cheaper and in a small space, can't fit a chop saw/table saw in anyway.  Wife's car wouldn't go in the garage.  Not a good idea!  I call it "preventive maintenance".

• I was using my jig without the brass "guide" and found that I cut into the jig wood at times, making for a "dip" in the cut.  The brass (or aluminum/copper, etc.) glued to the jig prevents the wallowing on the vertical of the cut.  Older you get, the longer it takes to go, "DUH!"

• Awesome jig! You have got to be talented to get that nice of a straight cut.

This reply was deleted.