Ok so as the title suggests I'm having a scarf joint disaster that needs urgent fixing for a show next thurs. Essentially it has snapped!! I had it stringed for about 2 days and following a few hours in my trunk it snapped much to my horror as was sounding really good. I tried scraping away most of the existing glue and have re-glued it again using evo-stick wood glue. I'm wedding will it happen again....maybe the contact area is not large enough. Is there anything else I can do to reinforce it? Maybe some screws would help although this would be through the bond. Any suggestion appreciated.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have been using titebond3 on all my neck work and it seems to work well. Epoxy works too the longer the cure time the stronger the glue but clamp over night even 5 minute. This won't help you now but it depending on which way you do your joint you can use the tuner to hold the joint.

306108554?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Sounds like the surfaces may not be perfectly flat. Surfaces must be flat using a hand plane, belt sander, or use sandpaper that has been glued to a flat surface.

• Sometimes things are just bad luck. Live and learn, too extreme an angle reduces your surface area as you say.
    You seem like a savvy bloke, probly know this, but I'm putting it up here for future readers. We've had a dozen or so guys talk glues. Link you pictures etc etc. well ill make a scarf joined neck, often Twice scarf joined routinely with white wood workers glue. And I do it with supreme arrogant confidence. Why? Because I can use a plane. Nice clean joinery is far Far more important than what glue you use. Period.
  • If the glue is this stuff, it's a liquid resin glue that's extremely strong if used properly.  It's what I use and I've never had an adhesive failure.  You need a close-fitting joint with a decent surface area. You also need to clamp it together for at least 12 hours, and leave it longer to get full strength. Maybe try a test piece with 2 scraps of wood of the same area as your scarf joint.  Let the glue set for at least 24 hours and then try to pull the joint apart - see which breaks, the wood or the adhesive.

306098781?profile=RESIZE_320x320

• Oh, and use plenty of adhesive - the surplus will run out of the joint when you clamp it up and you can tidy it up when it's dry.

• Yep thats the stuff.

I think the problem is the contact area might be too small. Having said that I had it strung for about 3 days at tension with no problems until I left it in the boot of my car.....im hoping it was the temperature.

My main problem is this guitar was ready to go....going into an exhibition this Thursday...completely finished, varnished etc. Ive re-glued and will try it again tomorrow. Problem is of I cant get as tight a fit as was there before unfortunately.

Thanks lads for the advice.

• Spikes. Big ugly black spikes, right through the neck joint. Call it Art: The Death of the Blues.

You do know I'm only half kidding...
  • Titebond III is the best glue, but i would avoid complicated jobs like scarf joints ... (-:

•       Just do a pocket peg head. Their the number one way I do my peg heads. No cutting or gluing involved. Plus it`s super strong !   Last build for 2012

• Lovely colo(u)rs and finish in the wood and string tree/nut. Great work !

This reply was deleted.