Can someone recommend a small electric sander for level wood and small projects ...mainly necks. I saw a multipurpose tool at harbor freight for about 30 bucks but not sure. I don't need anything too fancy or expensive and would appreciate some advice. Thank you

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you want a "sander" to "level wood" (true the fretboard), the best one is a heavy table with a good flat top.  glue down a sander belt that you have split.  then rub your fretboard (already glue up to neck) back and forth until true and level.  Then when you cut in your frets, you won't spend any time "dressing the frets".  Since I started doing it this way, my time spent on fret work has dropped dramatically.

• Anyone use the dremel from HF with any luck for finer areas?
    • the non"dremel" brand for HF is way to weak.  Spend the money

• I used one for a short time, too short as it burned out within two months. It worked very well for cutting and sanding before giving up the ghost though. Going to try the Dremel 4000 next.

• I use a Dewalt random orbit palm sander as a midway step for contoured pieces.  For flat surfaces I use a combination of a rasp and paper on flat blocks (or another flat surface).  I have done most of my necks without the use of a power tool other than a drill.  Mostly the palm sander is used for removing the plane and rasp marks.  The plane and rasp do all the contouring.

I just bought my first spokeshave at an antique shop.  Can't wait to use that.

• Bad finger , if you get a chance can you tell me which model you have? Thanks
    • Orbit sander looks good so far. I so need to straighten up a mistake in a gouge or two. Not sure what type of sander is best. Already tried a rasp...going later to hardware store ...
This reply was deleted.