I thought this may be helpful to anyone who is tempted to hack those rod piezos. As an experiment I successfully cut one of the piezo elements off of a 6 string one and wired it to a jack so I now have a 1 string, under saddle rod piezo. It is tricky bit of soldering but if you have a tiny soldering iron, (I don't, mine is huge! wink wink) it can be done easily. The trick I found is that the ground runs all the way around the outside and the "positive" lead is a tiny piece of foil tape that lays in the lower channel of the ground piece and is insulated from it with a foam layer. So if you let the solder bridge the gap or melt the foam away, you get a short and it will not work, but if you can "Keep Em' Separated"it will work! Special thanks to Ben for making these available to us at such a good price and for showing how to shorten them on the Gitty site, the pictures there were a great help! See pictures.

piezo1.JPG

piezo2.JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Here`s a short rod bridge I made for this build. I cut 1"  rod from a 2" uke rod.2 string skull bridge build   

• Thanks for the info - I'm waiting for my order to arrive!! and I was hoping that there was a way to use the parts I cut off.

I also have a huge iron - but it's not so hot!!! wink wink nudge nudge!!
    where are those darn emoticons when you need them ;-)

This reply was deleted.