Hi all, I've recently received one of Randy Bretz's rod reso biscuit bridges. I've built everything up but I suspect the profile I put on the saddle isn't up to much. Does anyone have advice and ideally photos of the profile they use on their bone saddles? Top and bottom ideally. I'm getting buzzing and sitar like sounds occasionally, sometimes just weird harmonic overtones. I've checked the notch sizes on the nut and saddle but things still seem a bit buzzy. The bass string is muffled / dull-ish with poor sustain. Any suggestions/guidelines?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Are your strings wound on the tuning posts so that the last wind is closest to the headstock? this can help with the angle as the strings are lower than the nut and will give a little more string pressure. Also slots should be cut at a slight downward angle towards the nut and I do the same on some of my bridges.

• I'm sitting by a sea Loch in the Highlands of Scotland right now but I will check on those things as soon as I get back, thanks!

Put on an .028 D string for the bass and that seems to have helped along with a fret crowned saddle. I've also made sure the string notches on the nut are as shallow as possible. Not perfect but a lot better.
  • post pictures

• What pictures would be most helpful?
      • sideview especially. of the biscuit and then one of the body of the guitar and the bridge.

topview

• I'm just guessing here and really don't have much experience but I found that if the strings didn't fall right over the nodes on the rod they seemed to have a diminished effect. You could see if that helps.

• Tom when you built your reso did you put a downward pitch on your neck. That's why I make the saddle a bit taller so you can dail in the action by slotting the saddle.

• No, I'm sorry to say I didn't....:(
      I'll know for next time THAT'S for sure!

By the way, THANKS very much Randy, the sides arrived today and they are BEAUTIFUL! Mine fits like a glove and I know the bar slide will be received with gusto! Finally...I'm ELECTRIC!! Randy saves the day again! My new piezo rod is in and works beautifully.
      • Like I said before Tom, I stand behind my work and will do what ever it takes to make sure my customers are happy with the creations they get from me.

• Well I fixed the buzz but that bass string has no sustain to speak of when fretted and very little with a slide and its very quiet. It's not too bad when played open however.

So close but soooooo frustratingly far from what I want.

Would a brass saddle and a metal nut help?
This reply was deleted.