Hey everybody,

Long time since I've posted but I've been a regular lurker none the less.

Question... what are the Nation's thoughts on a mic that gives you that old-timey sound?  Everybody know what I mean right?  That mildly distorted, tin can, radio sound?

Is a ribbon mic what I need?

Is there an affordable option that would work out?  I'm just doing home 4-tracking so it doesn't necessarily need to be studio quality... but something nice wouldn't be bad either.

I'd love to hear what all you folks use.

Thanks!

Doc Caution

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I saw Damon Albarn and the Gorillaz a while back and he used what looked like an old CB radio mic with the talk button taped up, wired up to an amp for part of his set and it sounded great, really gritty!
  • A ribbon mic is great for some things, but won't give you the sound you've described (distorted, tin can, radio).

Something like the Copperphone (which has recently started advertising here on CBN) will get you closer, but it's kinda pricey IMHO.

I've got interesting results putting a cheap-ish dynamic mic (Shure SM57 or Audix i5) inside a tin can. I cut a whole in the bottom of the can and poked it in. I want to try it with some super cheap dynamics, but that may be overkill.

John
  • That phone receiver is great!

I just found this looking 'round youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2_VWkbc1PA
This reply was deleted.