Ok  . as  some  of  you  know  ..  I  plopped   4   of  wades   lowrider  gold foils  into  one  of my  witches  to  make an  ss4l   tribute . and  I  had  some time to  test  and compare  them  against     the  real   thing  as  I  have  many  teiscos   with  gold foils  .  including  an  ss4l  .

So  ,  as a  few  of  you  have asked my  opinion  ….

here's  the  break down  .

Do  they  sound nice  ?   yes  ,   they  have a great  tone  .

Do  they  sound  just  like the vintage teisco    foils  ?  .. well ,  no,    not  on  par , but  they    do  mimic that  vintage  tone very   well ,  and come    pretty  close  , and they    have    that same microphonic   effect  .They  come closer   than any name brand  pickup  that " claims" to   have  “vintage  tone  “  that I  have ever tried .

Are  they  worth the  price   ?  I’d  say  yes,  ..    considering  they are  around the same  price as  most  custom  wound  pups  out  there  ,  .   and  when   compared  to  the   real  teisco  foils  ,  they   are about  half  price  ..  and  beyond  half as  good  ,  so  ..  its  a   deal  really  . 

Do  they  look  exactly  like  the vintage  foils  ?     no  ,  they  do  not  have  the  set    pole screws  etc .. and  the   size  is  different  from  the  fatter    rys    and   they are   smaller  than the  slim jims .  BUT  the  over  all   look  is almost  the  same  at  first  glance  ,,  and not  having the  set  screw  poles  makes    them  more versatile     and  not   look  as   silly  on   3    or   4  stringers    etc  ..

Do  I    honestly  like  em  ?  or  am I  just being  nice ?  ,      well  .. lemme  put  it  this way  ..  if  my  swamp witches weren't  designed around  the   mini  hummer pickups  I  currently use  and already  have that  established  swamp witch humbucker   sound,    or    if I  couldn't  get  em .  ..   I  think   I’d  have these   single  foils  in  my  witches   .   ;-)

Nice  job   wade .

Here’s the ss4l  tribute  video  with  wades  pups

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/swamp-witch-guitar-ss4l-tribute-with-wades-gold-foil-lowriders

and here  is where you  can get  wades  pups  .

https://reverb.com/shop/victory-guitars

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dig these. Thanks for the review. I checked out both your vid and the one at Reverb. Really like the sound.

Love the throaty sound of the swamp witch guitar I have. It might be a cool custom option to be able to choose between the two. Just an idea.....

I have a set of 1970 PAFs. Bought a set of Duncan's PAF's for another les paul guitar. Do they sound the same? Only when I turn the tone down a bit on the Duncans. It's hard to mimic the sound of rotting copper wire and disintegrating wax. Rot and tarnish = warm tone.... : ) Or just turn your tone down a bit. I said that to point out this. It's really hard to get the sound of an old pickup. Kudos for those who come close! Perhaps using a tone to cut the new edge off of these gold foils will allow them to come closer to the old sound.

• cool  rat  .  ;-)   thanx   for   sharing  .  

as   for the witches  ..   they will stay as  the   signature   axe and sound  they  have   become  known  for  . 

the tribute was a just   one time custom.  ..just.for me    ;-D

• On its way to Boise-Colombes, France!
  • Wade's pick ups have a great tone! Not only do they sound great, they look very cool! they will be a unique addition to your current or future build, for that matter, due to their height install them on a already completed guitar. 306396817?profile=original

• that's a beautiful  guitar Delvero !

• i  like  it  with  the pup  ..  and it  matched  well  .

good  idea   on the picture  ,  . ill post  mine  here too.

306397734?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Thank you pick! personally i liked it better without pick up (looks wise) but now it has a nice voice!

• that's a great honest review! I think he will have much sucesss with them and we want to seem more  swamp witch and warlocks with gold foils!!!!!!

• Cool Pick I`ll be using one of Wades on an up coming build...the Copperhead

• ;-)

This reply was deleted.