Hiya guys and girls, I won this ace box on ebay from the Philippines and I want to build something really special. I initially thought I would build a Tele style hardware box build as I want a bolt on neck and figured a 6 string would be very usable as a quick grab instrument. Then I thought, I love resonator sounds! But, is it as easy to build a 6 string resonator? Or should I just build a four string? (Needing to build a neck). All your thought welcome!!! Rob

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Paul.

• 306612553?profile=original306612674?profile=original306613720?profile=original306614724?profile=original306615688?profile=originalHi Rob, not a lot of detail but as wood workers I'm sure one can visualise the full picture. The neck heal is glued and screwed through the rim into the neck block to form a suitable neck pocket. Braces are shown for top and back and showing a breakdown of the bridge/pickup fitting.

Cheers Taff 

• That is excellent and confirms what I had planned... great build. I do really like your sound holes, which I am currently trying to design mine now.

I am bolting on my neck, figured it would then be easier to adjust when needed.. lol
    • Nice Taff.

• Stumac have info on wiring in a blend pot on their site.
    Taff
    • Taff, any chance of a picture of the inside of your six string? :)
  • Hi, yep the six string neck is a bit more work with the need for a truss rod and the tapered fitting into the larger neck block and a bit more carving, but I'd say the procedure is the same. I've never had to put a rod in a 3or4 string neck.

All my six string necks have been from other guitars, mostly strat style, but many have used modified acoustic necks.
    Cheers Taff
    • So I have decided

I am going for a resonator... 6 string.... witha tele neck rosewood.

My aim is for a tabacco sunburst body, with electrics similar to yours.

Just need to choose a bridge!

Do you happen to have a wiring diagram? :)

• Hi Rob, good choice. I can't remember the wiring set but I always use the diagrams from Guitar Electronics.com. Hundreds of wiring ideas there for all pickup combinations. Google them, in the meantime I'll have a look. The piezo on the cone is a bit bright for my taste but blending in the magnetic pickup adds heaps of bottom end.
        Cheers Taff
  • Can't see why one would be harder to build than the other myself, it's just 2 extra strings.

This reply was deleted.