I'm about to start a reso project with a Lowes cone. I want a piezo pick up and love the way my Chickenbone John piezo rod bridge sounds. What would you suggest in terms of a bridge/pickup set up? I have rods, disks and even a CB Gitty rod bridge. Could I drill a small hole in the cone to run a wire through or would this mess up the cones acoustics? Ha anyone made a ring like disk piezo by drilling the cente of a disk out or would this kill the disk? Thanks folks!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I like using two piezoes in parallel

I mount them to the neck inside the box with hot glue and hot glue covering the exposed side also to tame them a bit.

I would think if you can get one in the biscuit it would sound awsome

http://darrenscigarboxguitars.blogspot.co.uk/

•  

This is my most recent build, it's my 6th CBG. Definitely my best build yet.

The bridge is made from a cut down 5/16 stainless steel bolt, with two nuts on it. The top side of the nut was trimmed off with a dremel so that the strings could pass over it. The bottom side of each nut was drilled and tapped with a 1/8" thread. I then drilled two corresponding holes through the license plate and used two 1/8" bolts to bolt a 4" diameter stainless steel bowl through the license plate to the bridge. I sandwiched a piezo rod pickup in between the license plate and the bowl, and the sound is amazing.

The license plate light was bought at a local auto parts supplier, and it's powered by a 9V battery located inside the box.

Next time I will probably use brass bolts for the bridge, cutting threads into the stainless was nerve-wracking.

305998726?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024305999933?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Wow! That's quite the construction! Sounds like it is as tough as the vehicle the plate came off of! Tapped stainless huh? You are a braver man than I. Looks great!
    • cool  :-D

• I agree with Jef, i wouldn`t drill any other holes in the cone other then the one thats already there.

• Thanks guys, it looks as if a centrally located disk or a rod below the bridge within the biscuit is the way to go, making it tidy and sound good is all I have to do now....that's "all"! Lol
  • Yes you can drill thru the disc. That's mr lowes secret! Wel done...
    I prefer a strat pup inside, pointed at the bolt that drops thru the cone.. (the cone itself is non-ferrous, either alum or brass) there is already holes drilled in the cone when you get it, I wouldn't recommend adding any more, just use one of those..
  • 306000246?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Or you can buy one of my Mojobone Works custom rod piezo biscuits, here is the first batch of bases i did, all already sold !

• 305999716?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• never done it myself tom,but my understanding is,yes you can put a hole in the p/disc without destroying it,if i,m incorrect ,someone will set you straight pretty soon

This reply was deleted.