I am collecting bits for a resonator build I have not actually heard one live and im wondering how they sound compared to a regular CBG. I have listened to youtube clips but its hard to say from them. I though some of you should be in a good position to verbalize the difference between the two.

Mitchell

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Louder, more twang, but mellower when played with slide. To my subjective ears;-). Easiest way, besides watching and listening to Keni Lee's vids, is to compare a standard acoustic guitar and a resonator built by the same manufacturer. Same holds true for CBG builds, all other things being equal. Which they never are.
  • Built correctly with attention to creating a full rich tone, a standard type CBG can sound great. Like designing anything, there is knowledge gained through experience. Getting the soundboard to ring correctly and all the notes to play in pitch are the essentials.  

• Resonator will certainly give you more volume acoustically and that iconic bottleneck tone. Although, they are more expensive and difficult to build. Setting up the string action (height) in relation to the correct downward pressure to drive the cone correctly can be very challenging. Too loose they rattle...to tight locks up the cone.  

This reply was deleted.