I finally got started on my first reso, I have the reso part done and
now onto the "bolt on neck" part. I will start in on the frame to attach
it to. Back Porch MoJo Reso.
 Cut out a round disk, chiseled out a "well" to hold the reso, drilled some holes, and cut out the inside part, it has a cut
where the saw went through to get to the inside, but I glued it back
together.
                                                     Cheers Ron.

Views: 273

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very interesting build, please share more pictures and details! (sources for your parts, what kind of wood, etc would be great too!)
I am brainstorming on a similar build for the future. It may end up being a little heavy, but I have a larger box with a thicker top and was considering a routed step and hole in a thicker front arrangement. But I have no idea-how does the height of the cone work out?
I guess the bridge and neck have to come together at the right height, so I figured I would start with the bridge, this is also affected by the reso cover if you have one. So I started at the bottom of the box and worked my way up.
The wood is some piece of 1X6 could be spruce, like in 2X4's, it was what I had and was within arms reach. Routed top would work well as long as it does not end up to high.
I do not know about the angle of the strings over the bridge as this will determine on how hard they press down on the reso, I do not know what pressure is ideal for the cone I have. The reso does add some the gray matter needed by me to get this thing to sing.
Cheers Ron.
Bridge height is the $1000 dollar question here.
Maybe you could help me out here, first what cone is that, second, perhaps you could provide a critical measurement for me. with the cone laying on a flat surface, and with the bridge/biscuit whatever arrangement you are using, measure the height of the bridge from the base/flat surface? Maybe you ould lay a straight edge across the bridge and measure to the base?
Sure would appreciate it, as it would tell me if what I planning is feasable or if I need to paln another approuch.
Thanks!
Mark
It is Back Porch MoJo reso cone and cover. It was a treat to myself. That other guy ?? has some nice cones as well they seem to fit flatter in the box.
This is him:
http://www.cigarboxnation.com/profile/OldLowe
Yes I can do that and post it up tonight for you.
Cheers Ron.
You will have to to give a rain check until tomorrow.
Cheers Ron.
I hope this makes sense to you
The reso cone its self is 5/8"
The biscuit is 1/4" the bridge when sitting in the biscuit slot is 13/16"
Cheers Ron.
Not sure, since the center of the cone is dished and I am not familiar with how the biscuit/bridge sits down in it.
Total height as assembled?
Thanks! Mark
The reso with biscuit and bridge is 1" and 8/16ths.
Cheers Ron.
Not to be a smart a$$, but isn't 1" and 8/16ths" the same as saying an inch and a half? I'm just saying.

Mungo Park said:
The reso with biscuit and bridge is 1" and 8/16ths.
Cheers Ron.
LOL. Well yes, I was assuming thats what he meant. But I would still like that verified.
In the end though, I guess either way I am just gonna have to pick up a res cone and bridge and sort this out. 1.5" is way up from where I hoped it would be.
Thanks for the help though!
Well yes it is now that you mention it, I measured and it came to 1 and 7/16ths but I had shaved a hair off of mine so I added a bit, and hey I thought their were no rules 16/16ths and 16/32ndths to be much more accurate. Next time I should go metric and then it will be really messed up, 3.8cm sounds about right to me.
If you want a flat one look at the old Low ones, but I have not ordered on of these before.
Cheers Ron.
Thanks Ron,
I am not familiar with many sources, can you tell me what the "old low" one might be?
A res cone that was small diameter and low profile would make things much easier.
Thanks again,
Mark

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

"i See Your ready to Blow away the GRAND STADIUM ! tree strings more of DAR DELIGHT !! Shine Girl !…"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you for the kind comments Doug! Glad you liked the Picture !"
1 hour ago
BrianQ. commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
5 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Dar Stellabotta's video
5 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Project Punch!

" Thank ya again Keith!"
8 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Punch Project!

" Thank Ya Keith!"
8 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
9 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
9 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
11 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
11 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
12 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
12 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->