I have enjoyed all the discussion and photos of Reso projects but have a lingering question.

Here's the thing .... as noted, pie pans, bunt pans, hubcaps, pet bowls all have been successfully used.

But .... I have seen different orientations as to placement. Some with the concave surface facing into the box and others more commonly facing out.

Which seems to give the best results? Or, am I not seeing things properly?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think a lot depends on what you are using as a resonator and how it will best fit into the box and still let you get string vibration to it. for instance most of the pet bowls you see use have a lip at the bottom that makes it easy to mount by flipping it over and mounting upside down into the box. That also puts the flat bottom of the bowl closer to the top of the box so the bridge does not have to be a tower. Making a "spider" bridge will sure complicate things so just putting the bridge into the center of the reso makes things a lot more simple.

• I want to make some reso's this spring, so I have also been looking at this. From what I can see and find out, the resonator is acting just like a speaker, the difference being the speaker cone is driven by an electromagnetic coil and the resonator is driven by the strings and the bridge.

The biscuit bridge seems to be very close to a standard coil speaker with the cone concave to the top, like a standard speaker. The builds with the curve convex to the top, look to be a lot like dome tweeters.

The spider bridge is driving the edges of the cone instead of the middle. i do not know a speaker analogy to this, maybe some tweeter.

I'm thinking, with found objects as resonators, yuou will have to experiment a bit to see which placement gives the best ring. I am planning on a 4" paint tin lid, concave to the top, driven by a center mounted bridge. I am hoping to use a shower drain cover as a reso cover.
  • Both methods give different results.

Here is a photo of the two standard single cone resonator styles,

biscuit bridge on top and spider bridge on bottom:

305972036?profile=original

• I have been sort of wondering the same thing myself...

This reply was deleted.