Replies

• I just went to Goodwill this afternoon and picked up this stuff for about $11.  A metal file box, 2 lunch boxes, 2 spoons, a heart shaped candy tin and what appears to be some sort of portable "Tavern in a Suitcase".

306262015?profile=original

• Hi David.

CBN also has info on box building...

Here's a discussion group dedicated to that topic: Home Made Resonator Boxes 101, v.2.0

Most of my instruments are based on home-made sound boxes of various shapes.

-Rand.

• Just what I was looking for, thanks.

• Metal bowls, Goodwill.

• Yeah, I've got to realize that good solid metal works well to direct the sound out the front. Also, I need to see if Goodwill has some semi-busted furniture that could be re-sawn for necks or box sides. Guess I'll give 'em a visit in the AM. (They're a good group and deserve our support.)

TN

• Goodwill furniture wasn't much help, but housewares had some great wooden stuff: Cutting boards, serving trays, wooden towel racks, and even an oak breadbox.

Nothing long enough to make a neck our of, but several options for the sides and bottoms of boxes--all in the $1-$3 range. (That's cheaper than "craft wood" at Lowe's.)

WARNING: They use nails and staples to stabilize the glue when they factory-make this stuff. Watch out for metal when cutting into found items.

• Rare earth magnets make good metal detectors.

• I've recycled plenty of old Baltimore city school desks.  Very nice, heavy maple.  Hoping to find one with the right carved initials to resaw into guitar tops, something reminiscent of the cover from School's Out.

• I've seen a couple of basses made from silverware boxes--one an "upright" bass, one a bass guitar. You can buy 'em at "antique mall" places or just steal them from your wife.

Haven't tried it myself. Looks like you might have to thin out the box lid to get a decent soundboard.

TN

P.S. I own an acoustic bass guitar (Epiphone El Capitan). It's a BIG sucker. You need a big sound box to get an acoustic bass tone.

• wine  boxes  ,   drawers  ,  tea  boxes ,  shoeshine boxes ,  crates  , homemade  boxes, speaker boxes ,  solid wood  ,  tin   cookie    boxes  , barrels ,   washtubs,   plastic  office   water bottles  / jugs. 

This reply was deleted.