Replies

• Hi again, sorry Brent I'm confused. If the neck is too high [which is normally referenced off the face of the top] that to me means the fingerboard is too high so the strings would also be too high. This would put the strings further away from the pickup I would have thought.

On the other side of the coin, if the neck is too low,- so that the fingerboard is level with or below the top of the box -  then the strings would also be too low and too close to the pickup. Like the man said earlier a picture is worth a thousand words.

Taff

• I think he means the thru neck part of the neck is too high Taff, and his pup won't sink into the box enough, that,s how I read it anyway.

• Hi, thanks Daryl. I had this idea that the pickup sat flat on the top of the lid. If as you say I still envision an easy fix. Without a photo I give up.

Taff

• All three are unassebled but will send a pic of what one looks like without fretboard attached

Yes the problem was pu too high off board so need to lower neck/fretboard with all glued down!

• Glued the neck to Box bottom with supports then found out later the neck was too high for micro pup surface mount pu clearance.

• Hi, thanks Brent. Would placing a suitable thickness wooden shim under the pickup work. It could hidden under pickup by being same size, or made a fancy feature piece if nice timber.

Taff

• I need to lower the pickup, neck is too high. Considering mounting the pickup under the lid so maybe a flush fir on top using a cover

• Before building any guitar, I recommend to figure out what scale you want. From there, planning the position of the neck and pickups would be a lot easier.

What I do, I have a 2x4 that acts as my mannequin of planning scales and positioning of bridge and pickups.  A scale length is measured from the nut to the bridge area.  Lets say you would like to build a 25" scale; then you would measure with a ruler, 25 inches from the bone nut to the bridge (or tail too if its a wraparound). That should give you a clearer idea where to go when building.

• If you don’t have access to a neck steamer then the next best thing is an adjustable heat gun. Heat it up till you can pry a thin spatula underneath & then just work it away from the box,PATIENTLY while heating the area you’re prying. takes a little time, so work slowly for the best results? Good luck 

• Hi Brent, I would like to know what went wrong to be able to offer a reliable remedy. Like lll Grean said a photo would help. There could be an easier fix.

it would also help others avoid the mistake.

Taff

This reply was deleted.