Replies

• I agree with MAX on superglue. Though I HAVE used it here and there for very small jobs, I never use it for anything that really requires any strength.It just doesnt have the deep bonding power , but thats just my opinion,,,,,,,
  • Larry, Wood glue is always best with wood. Not super glue. Thats best for plastic.
  • For my one and only build so far (therefore, I'm an expert!) I did glue some small blocks where the neck meets the box. The surface area where the cut box edge meets the neck seemed so small that I wasn't sure if either TiteBond or Superglue would be enough to hold. But that's it.
  • Brad,
    I work a full time job in the Mall where my shop is.I work 2nd shift.So before I leave for work I go out to the workshop and work building necks.I will build say,,,,,,6 to 8 necks at 1 time.
    When I get home from work at midenite I go back out to the workshop and either finish out the necks or get all the boxes ready.I work like this most every day,building before and after work until wed and thurs.Those days I take all the parts I was working on all week and assemble all the CBG's and or DB's I'm going to build that week.Usually between 6 to 9 CBG's and maybe 4 to 8 DB's.Assembly is the quickest and easiest part because I have everything ready to go.Assembling a 3 string CBG takes about 30 minutes from start to string up.A 1 string maybe about 15 minutes.
    On Fri I take all the stock I built in to our retail shop and add them to the available stock for sale.During our tourist season I can just barely stay ahead of sales.Right now is our off season and I'm trying to build enough to allow me to slow down some this coming season.It wont work but I'm trying anyway lol
    I almost NEVER build just 1 CBG,I cant afford to build that way time wise.
  • How do you make em so fast?

Roger Martin said:
    Because I build and sell many CBG's and DB's a year ( about 300 or so far this year) I cant afford to have even 1 come back that didnt hold up.With the internet for communication now days just 1 dissatisfied customer can hurt your reputation .
    So because of that I tend to over build sometimes.
    I tell my customers that their wife could smack em over the head 5 or 6 times and the CBG will be fine, but you still cant leave it out in the rain,,,,
  • Just putting glue in the corners isnt really going to do you all that much good. It would be kind of like smearing super glue on the outside of a crack instead of between the two pieces of whatever is cracked. If you have to reinforce a box though I think that it would be best to add a right angle triangle using glue and a clamp in the corners from the bottom of the box to the top. Looking at it as a box lying on its back with the top open. This will give awesome reinforcement with minimal itnerfereance to the inside of the box.This is done in cabinetry all the time.
  • for what it's worth i am in agreement with max. I have never used glue when it wasn't needed. However on cardboard cigar boxes i have used gorilla glue to add extra support in the corners, with good results.
  • I'm glad to see this question! I was wondering, myself. I'm no expert, but I seem to have seen somewhere that floppy boxes can also dampen sound. So on my one-and-only ever build, a somewhat flimsy Romeo y Julieta corona box, I put some bracing in to stiffen it up,hoping to *improve* the sound.

Have I just made things worse, then?

EKS
  • Selling 300 a year...I like your style!!!
  • Because I build and sell many CBG's and DB's a year ( about 300 or so far this year) I cant afford to have even 1 come back that didnt hold up.With the internet for communication now days just 1 dissatisfied customer can hurt your reputation .
    So because of that I tend to over build sometimes.
    I tell my customers that their wife could smack em over the head 5 or 6 times and the CBG will be fine, but you still cant leave it out in the rain,,,,
This reply was deleted.