Well, I cut glued two pieces of red oak for a neck. 24 inch scale. Started cutting little grooves to chip away the headstock to make headstock. Although the wood is very strong I've made the tuner area too thin. What can I do if anything? Red oak too hard for me. Never again. The pencil mark is the 24 inch mark..

image.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Red Oak is the best material for necks, wouldn't use anything else though maple is good i hear, i 've made all my builds with red oak, yes it is tough but don't try anything too ambitious just keep things simple. Due to making a lot of builds i have power tools, i'm not a slave to tradition, i can make 3 CBG's in a weekend now as before each took me 2 weeks, but the finished build is much neater and accurate using power tools than i could ever do manually (-:

• As I was rasping the red oak I heard a lot of resonance. A sort of zing..hard to explain. Without power tools I'm sceptical but there's something about this particular piece of wood.. It's been particularly cold and dark outside so I'm taking off from this neck for a while. I did construct a new version of poplar wood... same idea..well I glued the wood...darn it's cold out.
      • i've used English white oak too and there is a slight difference, but not enough to affect the finished job (-:

• The neck you show in your photo is far too thick, start again but get your supplier to cut to 3/4" thick, then just take 1/4" inch off the headstock, no need to glue anything. most important of all, make a plan, don't make it up as you go along (-:

306237337?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• ...very nice job on that headstock!!!
      • Well the whole idea is a bit iffy as far as heigh of the neck. I've successfully made a slide version. With the height of the new neck ...this is a very experimental build ...the necks thickness may or may not suffice for a fretted instrument. Here's a pic of the past build as a slide. The newer version has a neck higher than the body. Your probably right but there's no way to tell yet until frets and an actual build is complete. The bolts for a nut and bridge are already set high in the previous build so a higher neck to body ratio might work.

image.jpg

• gluing that piece to the bottom of the headstock is a cool idea...kinda glad to have made a mistake..certainly with poplar or other woods to make an entire neck with...
    • Yep, that's what I do. I'm getting better now but I've managed to rectify some horrific headstock cutting mistakes this way.306239281?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Great answers and very much appreciated!!!
  • I think I will glue a piece of wood to flat side(bottom) of the headstock as suggested but flattening the part where the gear tuners poke there heads out of is gonna be a challenge...if I could get it flat I'd just glue a flat piece of wood there to add the thickness??
This reply was deleted.