Hello all, I thought I would post my first build here as it really isn't a cigar box guitar, even though it does have 3 strings tuned Gdg.

I picked up a bit of dry ghost gum that came off a tree with the recent winds and decided it should be a guitar.

I hit the wood with a chainsaw, router and sander, sealed it with linseed oil and made it into a 3 string guitar.

The guitar also sports a homemade pick up and built in valve preamplifier.

A 6GM8 dual triode is used as the bridge on the redgum guitar and also as a switchable preamp tube running from a 6v supply.

The heater and plates of the tube run directly from a 6v lithium camera battery clipped in on the end of the guitar.

I have added in an on-off/ bypass knob also.
The knob turns on the preamp, and when turned off bypasses the circuit so the pick-up can run unboosted.

All the wiring is enamel wire to keep the real DIY look to this thing going, I have used small ceramic caps, which I normally shy away from but used them in this guitar as they seem to add a little extra something to the sound.

The output from the guitar has been boosted dramatically at least 6 fold making it a much more useable instrument and something I will have alot of fun messing around with.

I have posted pics on facebook;

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.228131960645673.51319.119837328141804&type=3

IMG_2104.JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Mark,

Second that very cool. Do you mind sharing the schematics for the preamp?

Cheers

Peter

• Hey Peter, I don't have one I just went off the data sheet and whipped up the most basic of circuits for it. Runs heater and plate from the 6v battery nothing fancy.

• yup .. please  send to   ..  "anonymous  pick .. po.  box  555......lalala .   ;-D

• Very cool. Nice work.

This reply was deleted.