rebuild neck question

Pics of an acoustic that the peg head broke years back so I stripped off the fretboard, strap nuts, and tuners. Now I am thinking of doing something with the body and I would like to either graft a new peghead on or cut the neck at the body and put new on.

If I get passed this step, I am thinking of making this a Joe Williams style 9 string.

Thoughts/ ideas on how to would be appreciated.

Thank you all.

Lonman

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• BenBob, this is good info as well. I was not aware that nylon strings can come as a core then wrapped with steel or brass. I will have to make it clear what strings I will need.

• it's lookin like a  cool  one stringer  devil's  pitch fork   diddly to  me  ;-)

maybe a 2 stringer .  ;-)

• It looks like it was a nylon string guitar?  If you put stell strings on it, and 9 of them, you may have trouble with the soundboard colapsing. A nylon string guitar is usually stressed diferently than steel guitars. Less tension so they make them less strong, for better sound. How about 9 nylon strings? 

• thanks Michael for the feedback. This guitar is a lark distributed by the philadelphia music company. Was given to me by a friend and he said it was his grandfathers. I think it is Korean.

Anyway- it did have acoustic wound strings and such on it. no nylon. The peghead cracked one day when it fell on the floor from leaning against the wall. I fixed it with screws until it fell again.

Well, today I attempted to do the peghead rebuild. my graft peghead was cut fine, but I made the wrong cut on the neck of the guitar, now I have lost about 3.5 inches of the neck.

I think I will cut the neck at the body and put a new neck on it. I likely will not use all steel strings, just acoustic strings.

• Nylon strings are typically 3 monofilament nylon plastic treble strings, and the low strings are a multifilament nylon core with a silver-plated copper winding. The bass strings look similar to steel strings because of the winding, but have a much lighter tension because the core is nylon.

MichaelS is right, putting steel strings on that soundboard is likely to damage it. Classical guitars can sometimes support steel strings (for a while) and are quite loud due to the light bracing, but eventually the bridge cracks or tears off, or braces crack, soundboard delaminates, etc. If your friend did that, over-stressing the headstock could have contributed to it breaking when it fell too.

But if you want to put 9 steel strings on it, don't let us stop you! Just promise to take pictures! ;-)

• Cool, then no problem. I see you entered the comptition on the other forum, will be fun to see the result.

• Thanks. I am looking forward to it. Need to get Chess Paul build finished first.

• Thank you PK for the info, I appreciate it. I haven't decided on strings yet. I was not aware of Ted's challenge, will take a look.

• Well I'd plane back an angle at the head end there to scarf a head on. If u wanna out steel strings on there you prolly wanna rout a channel in that neck for some good hardwood strips..
    Good luck. If you don't know, theres a challenge at teds clubhouse that this will certainly qualify for maybe get on in it..
This reply was deleted.