There is a large Christmas ad prominently displayed on the home page of this website which reads, "Santa is mailing a large stack of C.B. Gitty gift certificates this week. (If you want one, tell your WIFE.)" (emphasis added)

I realize the members of this site are like 95% male, but really - way to make the female members of this site feel excluded. Not to mention people who don't have wives. 

This isn't the 1950s - the women's revolution happened decades ago and nowadays there are more single people than married people. http://nypost.com/2014/09/09/single-adults-now-outnumber-married-adults/

I'm really disappointed to see this kind of sexism on the Cigar Box Nation. 

I would like to see this offensive ad removed immediately, and replaced with something more suitable. 

A screen shot of the ad is attached.

Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 12.45.52 PM.png

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• For what it's worth, the ad was removed after Christmas because it was a Christmas ad and had run its course. We will do our best to keep everyone's feelings in mind with future ads and content to prevent anyone having reason to feel offended. 

I believe that enough has been said on this topic on all sides, and as such I am closing this thread to further comments.

• I'm betting that the Easter Bunny is stressing over how to word his ad...wait...did I say "his"...what is the Easter Bunny anyway?, pretty sure the Playboy bunnies were girls but....Oh crap, now I've offended the Easter Bunny !!! Well, darn, there goes my Certificates

• Actually the only reason I commented is because I thought the argument was funny. In all honesty I didn't give the add a second thought. In fact, it didn't even register anything to me but another gitty add. It was your opening post that got me thinking off the deep end. Nothing wrong with having an opinion. Nothing wrong with posting it. Truthfully I'm glad you did. Got the place rocking for a good time now. 

And now for more thoughts off the deep end.

Gitty is only selling gift certificates to married people. So you guys that are married, find out which one of you is the wife.

To keep all the end of the year confusion down gitty is only selling gift certificates to women. Men arnt smart enough to handle finances.

CB Gitty is promoting honesty in marriage. an example,

Husband,

"Look honey, CB Gitty is selling gift certificates!"

Wife,

"Why yes dear, he is! You told the truth!"

Both,

"Gonna be a hot time in town tonight!"

'if it were only that easy............. 

: )

• I don't believe there is an argument Blue....
  • Well, I'll just say as an ol' timer and long time forum member (Skeesix is part of a small group who may predate me, but I was hanging around before the forum moved from Yahoo as well, and can remember when membership crossed 500 or so.) I have always wished there were more like ya' and wish to remind you the majority may rule, but the minority rocks. 

And for the record, I am proudly and happily married to an intelligent and amazing woman who walks beside me in life as my partner and equal. And no she isnt reading over  my shoulder........

Live well and be well my friends.

• But did she get you a Gift Certificate? That's the definition of tru...

This message was found to be insensitive to fairy tales featuring charming princes and and the beautiful, empty-headed, uncritical-when-it-comes-to-picking-apples, animal-manipulating women who wait for them.

BTW, if yer tongue's in yer cheek, that makes it easier to bite.
  • I'm finding some people's comments that I'm just whining to be whining a little disconcerting. I have never complained about anything on here before, and I don't complain about things in general. I've been a member since day one and even before that (see below).

If people need some kind of further explanation as to why I found the ad offensive: 

What the ad says to me is that women couldn't possibly have an interest and ability in the cigar box guitar hobby themselves - the only way they can participate in the hobby is by buying a gift certificate for their husbands. 

Some background - I have been building things since I was a kid (way back when - ahem). I actually built my first cigar box guitar when I was 9. I've been playing guitars officially since I was 18, and repairing and building them almost as long. I went into industrial design as a career. 

I've played at jams for years, been in multiple bands and even had my own band for awhile. And, yes I play lead electric guitar - I don't just strum chords on an acoustic like a girl. I'm a well respected fixture in my local community's blues scene. I've volunteered for my local blues society for 25 years. 

I re-found cigar box guitars via Richard Johnston and the Lowebow. I was an early member of Shane Speal's cigar box guitar Yahoo group - back when there were only 300 members. I've been a member of Cigar Box Nation since day one.

I view the Nation as one of the friendliest places on the internet and I make it a point to visit every day, even if I don't post. I enjoy helping people with building and playing advice and there is a great sense of humor here too. 

So you can see that I'm way involved in this hobby as much as anyone on here.

The ad - especially as it's an official communication of the Nation - made me feel like it was a boy's club and I was just an unwelcome intruder. 

The fact that it came out of the mind of Shane (the King of the Cigar Box Guitar) is a bit disconcerting too. Hopefully it's just a one time anomaly, now that I've brought it to people's attention. 

Again, I thank Shane for acting swiftly to rectify the issue. 

This is my last post on this subject - let's get back to having some fun. 

• i find your objections offensive. The cbg world is mostly men and an ad aimed at them makes sense. Really. Get over yourself.
      • Chuck, you also can room with Derick and Jeffrey but guys who is going to wait on who, lol
  • women are strange species and that is why god created man 1st other wise it'll be total chaos.it was a woman who got us into this mess that we all live but still blamed the snake!!

This reply was deleted.