Replies

• I used this stuff ...looks good and toughened up the box...did 4 coats but still a bit splintery...might have to sand a bit or leave rough feel.

minwax clear-protective-finishes/interior-exterior/minwax-water-based-helmsman-spar-urethane
  • I picked up a bunch of these Christoff boxes and put four coats of water based varnish on the outside without sanding.  Helped firm up the wood, and prevented splinters while maintaining most of the woods character, no warping, and the tone qualities from the inside are really good.  I just went right over the label as well.

• What varnish exactly if you don't mind? And how did you deal with the stickers
      • Oh, I can't recall the exact brand.  It was a high gloss half pint that I picked up from Lowes, spread almost like spar varnish, really thick. As far as dealing  with the stickers, that's a good question.   I found out the paint they use is also water based, if you don't apply the first coat FAST, it will run a bit.  After the first coat, it's all sealed in.  I started in the center of the sticker, working out to the edge of it, that way the label doesn't lift, and then focused on the wood proper.  Just realized, I got the name spelled wrong...

IMG_1091.JPG

• This is pretty funny but I did re-look at the orig title of my post....

And some other funny stuff like "oil only the inside etc" ...ok that's it no more hah
  • I hope i"m not out of line, but do you think ky jelly would do the trick?

• Been used for wood lubrication for generations. >:-E
  • I had one of these Kristoff boxes in red that I made into a one string diddley bow.

Worst construction of any cigar box I've handled to date, out of square,  cracked, big gap between the top and side.

Sound...great! Wish I would have made it a 3 string!!

All I did was brace the top and spray it with sanding sealer.

Sanding sealer isn't glossy so it doesn't change the appearance of the wood very much but it does provide some protection.

This reply was deleted.