Got a big question on cigar box amps.  A pawn shop I visited last week had several small guitar amps, originally they were selling them for $50 but has had them there so long he has dropped the price down to $20 and there are 3 there, great deal.

My question is, I want to take those apart and put them in cigar boxes, easy enough, I've did it to the last one I made.  So at craft show and other events I have some amps to go with the cbgs.  But legal question is, if I put them in a cigar box can I legally sell those without getting in trouble since it is other companies parts etc?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Use the guts, but not the badge

As long as you do not create a condition where "the consumer is misled into believeing that the item in question is an official or licensed product of the originating company" you are 100% fine to use reclaimed/recycled/salvaged/post-consumer parts.

• thanks everyone for the input.  Off to making some cigar box amps then.

• Not a lawyer, but I play one on the Internet . . . Oh... Wait...

If you don't sell them as "new". Maybe marked as made from new and used components...
  • Just to add ... You could get in trouble copying the design, but what you are actually doing is buying their product and "Rebranding it".
  • Yes. Rebuilding an item you purchased into a package of your own design is no more than selling used merchandise. Gitty, Guitar Fuel, and others sell components to construct your own amps. They come in a box. Your components also came in a box.  Assemble your parts into a CB and let 'er rip.

This reply was deleted.