Replies

• Hello! I have a 3 strings and I am thinking of a 4. My thoughts are that it is possible to play more types of chords and that can be chained more easily and more comfortable. What I say is true?

• Listen to Captain Nemoff's rendition of Albinoni's  Adagio

• 3-String Songs I play in my band:

Highway to Hell

In My Time of Dying

Voodoo Child

Personal Jesus

When the Levee Breaks

Purple Rain

+ all my originals...

• Thanx for the reply's guy's! Slowhound, took me some time to realize what you seem to have come across immediately about being 2 guitars. I just started doing pentatonic scales up and down the neck. I can say for sure, having CRS, I'm fortunate my muscle memory is in tact or I'd have to learn everything all over each day. I do play it like a 4-3-2 string depending on what I'm doing, I like the versatility and familiarity of the setup. As far as tunings go....one's a great plenty for my whiskey soaked brain cells !!!

• Started with 3 strings before trying four. Approached the four string tuned GDGB as two- three strings squashed together. It was the only way I could wrap my head around it at first.

• Shoot.  I play my 5 string GDgbd like a 3 string.  Often GDG.  Sometimes Dgb.  Not often gbd.  I even play it like a 1 string.    

• I reckon playing a 4 string fretted guitar is not that different to playing a 6 string. The 3 string however is a different beast entirely. I love it, particulary the fretless variety. You're pairing it back so much that it just demands a whole new approach.

• I agree with Pat that maybe a 3 string can't do everything but it's not supposed to. It's supposed to play and sound like a 3 string. No more than a 5 string banjo can do what a 6 string guitar can do or vice versa. Each is a unique and differently played instrument. As Ron says, 3stringers challenge one's ingenuity to find the sounds and chords if you want them. If you're happy with basic chords for songs they are so much fun and easy for just about anyone to learn who maybe have never played anything before. 

• Well, here's one thing I can do with a 3-stringer:

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/oily-s-guitar-lounge-6-take-an-...

It's not everything, but it's a lot more than just barre chords. Tuned GDg.
      • Yup, that's a good one Ron. A 3 string can take an axe to it or it can play real sweet. It's all in the mind and hands of the player. I'm getting ready to post a version of Billie Holiday's God Bless the Child, which has got some serious chords, on a 3 string with my daughter singing. I think it's enlightening to listen to your Take An Axe back to back with a jazz classic on very similar instruments.

This reply was deleted.