In the middle of building a fretless build (no attached fret board), my first build.  I've got a question about tuner height and relationship to the Nut.

Tuners are closed tuners from MGB and nut is a threaded rod.  What is confusing me is that it seems like the tuner height almost lines up with the height of the nut.  There's really no "break over" the nut like I'm used to on a regular guitar.  Just doesn't seem right.  The headstock is just a simple notch.  I removed 1/4" of material and have 1/2" thickness on the remaining headstock.  Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for your help

Mark

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A thicker threaded rod (nut) would increase the break angle. I've seen some pretty large diameter threaded nuts. McTrusty uses one that looks like a 1/2" bolt.

Since it is a slider string action height is not really an issue.

• Sand both pieces dead flat & they’ll practically melt together when glued?

• This works real good, one of my favorites: 4483969317?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Hi Mark, like this one, there's 1/8" piece of timber glued to the back of the peghead but you can't see the glue seam.

Taff
    3843710769?profile=RESIZE_710x

• You can make the backside of the headstock thicker or just use string trees or #8 screws like Shane does? I don’t think it’s gonna be much of a problem if it’s gonna be a slider?

• Taff,

Million dollar question?  How did you get the seam to "disappear" where you joined the two pieces?

Mark

This reply was deleted.