Hi,

I'm about to build my first CBG and wanted to know what kind of sound I can expect to get out of a G.B.D tuning. Will it sound strange if I tune it to G,D,G?  Will it be harder for me to learn how to play? (I'm just starting out.) I've read that G,B,D is more country / twangy bluegrass. Any pointers are welcome, I'm sure there's a ton of info.  

I already ordered my strings from c.b.gitty.  If I decided to change my tuning to G.D.G later on, what strings should I use?

I look forward to finishing it! 

Thanks

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I find that GBD tuning gives me a little more versatility because it's not too hard to coax some nice high notes out of the 3rd string... maybe a little more Delta-bluesy for lack of a better word.

GDg tuning is more of a blues-rock sound, at least to my ears. But, to each his (or her own), and finding your favorite strings and tuning is just a rite of passage. Have fun with it and file away all the great suggestions you hear on CBN!  

• Thanks Hilo Greg!

I did just buy a GDG set, so now I think I will have a Delta-blues guitar and a blues-rock guitar to learn on.

...I just need to pick up another box  :)

• Yeah! You're hooked. I've got 5 of 'em in 5 different tunings sitting there to practice on. It's more fun to keep making them than it is to try to re-tune for every song.

PS. Try tuning a 3-string with the 3rd of the chord on the lowest pitched string--B D G using A D G strings or F# a d using the G b e strings. It's the interval of the minor 3rd between B and D (or b and d) that gives you the bluesy sound.

• For GDg, use the ADG strings from a standard set of strings. Then tune the A down a full step to G.

As far as easier/more difficult to play...depends on you. Also whether the guitar is a fretless slider or fretted. Takes practice with either, no different than learning to play a regular guitar.

• The guitar will be a fretless slider.

This reply was deleted.