I was just admiring some pictures posted by Scott aka Farmer Ted of two beautiful flame maple guitars that he just finished.

It got me wondering, where to go to buy nice wood like that.?

I've been relegated to Lowes and Home Depot. So, all I have access to is oak, pine, poplar and birch plywood.

I'm ready to start working with the good stuff but I can't find any at a reasonable price.

Any suggestions?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• a good source of thin wood is ocooch.com

look at their "scroll ready hardwoods" section.

• In addition to the others mentioned - I get all my birdseye maple from Bell Forest and I've always been happy with them especially for exotics. It helps if you have the tools/machinery for thicknessing but with their hand-pick your board you should be able to find something to work with.

• If you are not opposed to ebay, there is tons of nice wood available usually with good photos, I have had great success buying nice lumber there.

• Watch Craigslist under Materials by Owner. You can often find people who are getting rid of leftover stuff from home projects. I have found a ton of lumber that way. I got cherry, mahogany, walnut and rosewood that way.

Also look for people getting rid of real wood flooring. Make sure it is real wood and not engineered or laminate. 

This reply was deleted.