I am wondering if you guys put finnish on the neck before you put the frets on? I built two now,the first one I used tru oil and the neck was already fretted. All was fine,After putting finish on I leveled and polished the frets. On second build I installed the fretsand the neck was nice and straight,I didnt need to level the frets. I then used spray poly and All seemed good. After playing the frets started feeling rough. It was the strings wearing through a coating of poly. I then taped off the fretboard and used a dremel with polishing wheel to polish the poly off the frets. When I peeled the tape off it pulled the poly off in some areas. I am building another one now and just checking what others are doing. Thanks

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, good one Brian Q. I have sprayed many a maple board and that would add so much cost to the job. I have a scraper to clean the frets, when the fingerboard is taped off to dress the frets remove the lacquer then.

TaffI 

• Hi Jack, I myself do not put any finish on the fingerboard at all. I think when you refer to "neck" you mean fingerboard. The only fingerboards that normally get a finish are the maple ones. On CBG's one can do what ever they wish. 

I usually rub in a wax that protects the board from finger grime, and add some "life" to an otherwise dry looking fretboard.

Taff

This reply was deleted.