I saw Public Image Ltd on Sky arts last night, they showed half an hour of their 2011 Isle of White set, the first thing I noticed was the guitarist Lu Edmonds formerly of the Damned was playing a 3-string instrument...He get's a really great sound from it..in fact he played the first 3 numbers using this 3-stringer..here's a few pics I found on the net of what he was playing it looks a bit Asian, African or Chinese...is anyone familiar with this intrument?

Views: 449

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

It's called a saz (or in Turkish a bağlama). It's part of a family of instruments from the Eastern Mediterranean, the Middle East and Central Asia. The traditional forms of these instruments are all acoustic but I guess someone had the idea to make versions with electric pickups.

I read somewhere that Lu Edmonds has some involvement with the Tuvan group Yat Kha, who sometimes play traditional Asian folk instruments. I don't know if there's any connection here or not. It certainly seems that Mr Edmunds has an eclectic interest in folk.

I'd forgotten all about this thread mate, when I posted it a couple of months ago nobody seemed interested...Its nice to finally get a reply...a Saz you say... I'll look out for one of these when I'm on my travels...Cheers Mark I appreciate the info.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

too drunk toot fuck Dead Kennedys cover

Started by Pascal. Last reply by SlowHound Oct 18, 2017. 5 Replies

Public Image Ltd

Started by Chillicool. Last reply by Pascal Feb 17, 2014. 3 Replies

Blog Posts

Uncle Enos CBG Banjo Build

Posted by Greg on November 29, 2021 at 7:24pm 0 Comments

To Reach the Chord

Posted by Rich on November 12, 2021 at 10:20am 0 Comments

Seasonal build contest?

Posted by smilingdog1 on October 29, 2021 at 9:20am 9 Comments

Leonard Cohen Life

Posted by Keith Rearick on October 7, 2021 at 11:18am 2 Comments

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's album
Thumbnail

RIP TED Crocker

"Heard it treu the Grapevine."
7 minutes ago
A.D.EKER posted a photo

RIP Ted Crocker

Tribute to a old member
8 minutes ago
BrianQ. liked AGP #'s video
18 minutes ago
A.D.EKER left a comment for Keith Rearick
"Hi there Keith ! say can you exspain me how to go about in that chat room? i have been trying to…"
33 minutes ago
A.D.EKER commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

The Cheater -Six String CBG

"Looks pretty clean Glenn ! just dont get the black between the neck and the pickup?"
39 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Glenn Kaiser's photo
41 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Chuck H.'s photo
44 minutes ago
Keith Rearick commented on Chuck H.'s photo
Thumbnail

IMG_20211130_190011

"In the other pic, he had a strap on the wood in between. Maybe the hole is for hanging it upside…"
44 minutes ago
46 minutes ago
48 minutes ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Monkey Bizness C. Berry - A. D. Eker 2021

"thank you UJ ! for your kind comments on the tune & Build , much appriciated !"
49 minutes ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

The Cheater -Six String CBG

"For the story and a side-view (now my Wordpress site header) if of interest:…"
1 hour ago

Music

© 2021   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->