I am trying to make a pre-amp/equalizer for my guitars with piezo pickups. I ordered an EQ-7545R pre-amp, I did the Shane Speal hack of cutting the rod piezo off and soldering on a 1/4" jack. When I hooked it up I got nothing. No sound, nada.

Anyone have any ideas?

My first mistake was not ordering it from C.B. Gitty so by cutting the piezo wire I can't really send it back. My second mistake is I should have hooked it up before doing the hack so I would have known if the unit never worked or if I somehow did something to mess it up.

Unless anyone has had a problem with the Gitty unit, I'll just order one from them and try again.

Views: 1752

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

BTW... I don't see any on/off switch anywhere. Am I supposed to turn it on somehow and if not, is there no way to turn it off?

You have to unplug the cables when you're not playing or it will drain the battery. I made one with a Gitty unit a while back and I think I might have had to resolder the jack to the braided end, it didn't work the first time around. I recall that it pulled right off the jack with not much effort. Also, I think tinning the ends really well was the fix, and that was sort of a pain in the arse.

1. You can buy rod piezos on a braided wire to replace the one you cut. They are on eBay and they are cheap.

2. The on off switch in the preamp is the guitar jack going to the amp. Plug it in and the preamp is on.

3. I just soldered the disk piezo directly to the braided mini jack wire and plugged it into the preamp at the mini jack female plug.

4. Once you do that, put in a battery and plug the preamp into an amp. Touch the piezo to test the preamp.

It sounds like I have done everything right. I'm not going to mess around with it anymore, I just ordered one from Gitty like I should have from the beginning. I can just put the piezo from the new unit and put it in the bad unit and return it.

if its the same 1/8 in mini jack on the end of the piezo rod that the gitty unit has, you can test the pre-amp with an aux cord from your music player or smart phone.  if that works, you can buy a 1/8 male end and use that instead of cutting the braided cord

It is not an 1/8" jack, it is a 3/32" jack. (2.5 mm. instead of a 3.5 mm). It'll be interesting to see if the Gitty unit has the 1/8" jack.

You could try a new 9v battery, make sure all slide buttons are on max and also make sure the small master volume knob is switched to max too.

Are you using an amp cable with mono plugs? (The shaft of a mono plug connects two negative wires from the battery switching the unit on. A stereo plug doesn't connect the two wires so the unit stays off).

Thanksabut I tried a new battery and all knobs at max (and mid, and min just in case). I have no stereo jack plugs, they are all mono.

Post a detailed pic...

Does the battery check light work?  show us your soldering job, etc...

I'm pretty famous for wiring things backwards once in a while... My R/C airplane friends call me wrong-way...

Thanks but I just received a unit from C.B.Gitty and it works just fine. Apparently I did everything right on the first unit but it just doesn't work. I'm sending it back.

Gotta cut the piezo between the humps

I have handled at least 1,000 piezos and never saw one that had no sound.

Thanks but it is not the piezo that doesn't work it is the pre-amp.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
3 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Dar Stellabotta's video
3 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Project Punch!

" Thank ya again Keith!"
5 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Punch Project!

" Thank Ya Keith!"
5 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
7 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
7 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
8 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
9 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
13 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->