Hi, I am new and building my first cigar box banjo using a neck recovered from an electric guitar. I want five strings but my bandsaw will burn out trying to reshape the top of the neck. Can I run the 5th string up to the head but tune it to the octave G? Or should i be settling for 4 strings and tune it as a tenor banjo? All suggestions welcome. Thanks, tina

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be stringing it tomorrow.
    I would try the tenor banjo route except I have just started learning 5 strings and don't want to get confused with a different tuning.
  • Many Victorian 5 string banjos used a 6 string neck (leaving a redundant machinehead)  and ran the 5th string in a 'tunnel' under the fretboard from the 5th fret to the headstock. You can achieve a similar effect by using a "railroad spike" in the fretboard behind the 5th fret. The string simply hooks underneath and you've got your octave G in the right place. Spikes available from most banjo outfitters, StewMac etc...but I'm sure you could nip the head off a panel pin and bend it to get the same result. Just drill the fretboard with a really small drill (I used a .5mm drill last time I did this on a banjo) to make sure the spike goes in without bending.

306349855?profile=original

• 'Course you can. There are no rules. Keith Richards uses 5 strings on his Tele, tuned to Open G.
  • Going the tenor banjo route would certainly be easier. Just leave the high and low strings off and just use the center 4 strings.

• I did one with all 5 stings mounted at the head. the neck was too thin to put 5th string tuner on the side. Played just fine with the 5th string mounted that way.

This reply was deleted.