Poplar neck

What does the forum think about poplar CBG necks? I intended to use a poplar neck a maple finger board with  mahogany laminated under the neck running through the body out to the heel. I bought the poplar for 6 quid so it's no great shakes if it's no good. The rest I just have kicking about 

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I use poplar necks with my four string builds. Usually with a red oak fret board. No issues.

• yup  poplar   is  fine    for 3  stringers   , in-fact  many  prefer  it     , easy to work with  ,  less splinters  etc  ...  , and  i  have actually  heard  more    warping   horror stories about  oak  . 

the only  draw  back  is   most  of  it    has  a  pissy   / yellow  /  green    tint  to  it    ,  that  can   complicate  stain  choice  .but  like  picking fruit at the market  ,  go  through  it  .   eye  it  up  and  get a  good   straight  enough   piece   with  nice color ,   and  test  its flex  ..    the odd   batch  can  be  a lil  weaker   /  rubbery . but thats  rare  . 

• Poplar is very popular. See what I did there?

• I  did, I don't suppose you can trace your roots back to Stratford upon Avon?

• What are you building?

A poplar neck on a 3-stringer with something like 0.036, 0.022, 0.013 diameter strings would work fine. A four or six stringer with heavier strings might not work so well. I have several 3-stringers with poplar necks (1"x2" stock). Once the stiffness of a hardwood 1/4" fret board is firmly attached to the Poplar neck it has a lot of stiffness. I've not had any problems with flexing or bowing on either build.

• Thats good to hear. My next build is a fretless 3 string LPG. 

This reply was deleted.