Hey all.

So I finally got a ton of clamps the other day, found some 1/4 inch solid wood sheet for the back, and a maple neck.

My question is about using Plywood for the top?

Oh yeah, I'm building my own box part, btw (grin.)

It seems the paper wrapped boxes are just plywood bottoms and a particle type top right? And most all wood CB are many times plywood top anyway...right?

I know, the rule was always, if you can afford a solid wood top instrument, go for it !  So... is there any taboo in using plywood for the top?

I ask because I can only get 1/4 inch thick solid.... 1/8 inch becomes Basswood Plywood.

Cigar Box strummers sound nice, so I can't see it hurting the sound..."much"?

what do you think?

Looking DOWN the road, if I wanted to try to sell the odd instrument to sustain my building habit (I just really like building things, even more than playing).... will plywood hurt that chance ?

Thanks guys.

jim

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• ;P
  • LOL! Bert!

I think I read somewhere that Robert Johnson, Son House and Willie Brown's secret was Blue Cheese.

• Maybe if I steam off the La Belle it will sound Gouda!

Just need a Jack to plug it into a Munster size amp.

• If you have a well-supplied hobby store nearby, you should be able to find sheets of high-quality, thin plywood that could be used for the top of your box.  I found thicknesses from 1/8" down to 1/64" in sheets as large as 12" x 24".  Look in the model airplane buildig section.
  • Remember, a planer and a jointer are not the same tool. A planer sizes and smooths panels and a jointer squares stock for tight joints. Similar tools for different tasks.
  • LOL, avoid the sharp variety and while your there, get some string cheese!
  • Sound like you could make a really cheesy guitar from that. lol

Bert the Welder said:

I got a 14" round cheese box from a local shop. Top and bottom look to be about a bit better than a 1/16". They just gave it to me. Just mention it in case any one needs really thin stuff. Local grocery shop may have some cheese come like this. Brie wheels often do, and are cut up at the store, into wedges.

Wood looks like birch.

• I got a 14" round cheese box from a local shop. Top and bottom look to be about a bit better than a 1/16". They just gave it to me. Just mention it in case any one needs really thin stuff. Local grocery shop may have some cheese come like this. Brie wheels often do, and are cut up at the store, into wedges.

Wood looks like birch.

• I saw some 1/8 plywood in a Home Depot recently in the cabinet section.  It was being sold for cabinet ends. It came in various sizes.

If you ever see a hollow core door setting out in the trash grab it.  Door skin ply ought to be great stuff.

One of the problems of plywood as a top is density.  The best tops are made out of spruce and cedar which have 

very high strength to weight ratios.

Actually its the total weight of top plus bracing that matters, so thinner top and more bracing might balance out.

Come on now, these are "Cigar box guitars!  If you are going to over think it, why not make "real" instruments?

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but you can make one silky sow's ear! 

• Bert, I think its been done, I have no experience. But I suspect the tone might be a bit "tinny". But then if that happens to be what you are going for try it!

Huntz, Thats kind of what I meant, its not that it takes some perfect design, (Although there probably is a "sweet spot") its just that given the limitations of the small box, a braced top may perform no better than one that is a little thick. Time will tell as I have a few experimental projects up my sleeve yet.

Regards,

Mark

This reply was deleted.