Replies

• 306496130?profile=RESIZE_320x320

Made one from a paint can.  Todays paint cans are plastic with the metal lid.  So I sawed off the top third, stuck a stick all the way thru the paint can.  I took some door skin plywood and bent it into a round and stuck a flat bottom on it making it into a bowl.  Mounted the paintcan about a 1/2 inch from the bottom of the bowl and shazam...  a canjo...  Its actually sounds like a $3000 banjo...  well maybe not 3000 but tens for sure....

306497269?profile=RESIZE_320x320

306497786?profile=RESIZE_320x320

• Go to Videos, search "pete1 banjo uke" and see my banjo uke made out of a cake container.  Just nail the skin to any thick box and use a heat gun to shrink the plastic tight.  In the one on the video, I used wood battens to help hold down the skin, but in latter builds, I just drilled small holes and used nails with large heads to hold the skin down.  If you don't drill first, the nails will split the wood.

• If you are still interested I did this build with a 20 dollar hand drum, and a wooden plate. I used a wooden dowel and a screw rod to make adjustible truss rods in the drum. It is more of a Dulcijo. Sounds great used guitar strings DAD306317362?profile=original306317413?profile=original306318707?profile=original306319624?profile=original

• oops sorry, try Satan your kingdom must come down

• I can speak from expierience about Dianes builds. She made me wooden dulcijo when I was stationed overseas and it sounds fantastic. I have a video on my page of me playing it. I think it is black jack davie. I will check

• Thanks for the replies! Lots of good ideas there!  :D

• Lot's of good ideas on Bear's page.

• 306067727?profile=original

• Nice job Diane, but I don't understand that fifth tuner mounting, is that a special one for banjo,where is the post or string hole?
  • It's entirely possible. There are no rules after all. 

IMHO you don't even need to use a drum-type-thing if you don't want to. Using the box and strings (with good string tension) can give you a very banjo-y sound.

On this build I used the bottom of the box for the soundboard. It is 1/8" plywood:

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/mayhem-box-hobobanjo-sound-test

The strings are all plain (not wound) and are tuned like a banjo - D3 G3 B3 D4 and all are about 16lbs tension. This gives it a 'middly' sound like a banjo.

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/albums/mayhem-box-hobobanjo-2

There are some bids on here of banjos built using tins or gas cans that also sound banjo-y. 

That said, I'm planning a hand-drum banjo, lol. 

This reply was deleted.