I'm new to the box guitar building world, I do have woodworking experience.
Just started designing and planning the guitar. 

Can someone run through the plans to check if I'm overlooking stuff or done my research wrong. :)
Please inform me, I'm here to learn before starting my first build because I know I'm going to learn from all the "mistakes" during the building process..

I'm planning to use oak for the neck and looking into wood for the box at this moment.

The plans are available for download (pdf) below. BTW the plans are in mm because I'm from the Netherlands. 

New version
Thanks to the great suggestions, I've made some changes to the plans V1.1 is now available! 
Made some changes to:

• Positioning of the box
  • Support blocks inside the box
  • Added fret positions (via stewmac.com)
  • Added a volume knob to the setup

For the people who want to compare the versions, V1.0 is still available for download as PDF

v1.1

hans-coppens_box-guitar_v1.pdf

hans-coppens_box-guitar_v2.pdf

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Someone may have already pointed this out, but looking at both designs the weakest point in your build would be just behind the neck pickup where you are taking out a lot of wood. Even on a 3 sting guitar the strings will put more upward pressure on the neck then people realize. The longer the scale and heavier the strings the more pressure will be pulling on the neck. I would keep the thickness of the heel board all the way back. Richie Kay has a post on here showing a neck build very close to your design. I generally will run the neck and heel board the full length of the box on my builds and add blocks under the heel block if I need to take up space for mounting the neck. You can also use different thickness blocks to add a back angle to your neck if you wish by putting a taller block in back. Other then that I think your design looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product ;-)

• Hans, there’s some good reading for beginning builders in the Resources tab located towards the top of the page, as well as the cigarboxguitar.com archive located at the bottom right of the page. Also Glenn Watt YouTube channel  has some really simple build vids too? Check out this article: https://www.cigarboxguitar.com/knowledge-base/how-to-make-a-simple-...

• I'm probably reading for the next 10 years, so many resources I found. :) Thank you for adding some more. :)

• Looks good to me . The only thing I would mention to consider is the  switch placement . As is ... it is pretty close to the jack input (factoring in the male cord  ends inserted  length ) . Just make sure it doesn't touch or come too close to the base of the switch inside .  Not to mention ,  where the switch is now , it may get in the way of playing  ( ie: switching off while playing  in a seated position ,( or angled between the legs )  hitting your pants or clothing . and getting an unwanted  switch off .)  There is also a possibility  of   accidentally  hitting the switch when adjusting volume or tone .. or even palm muting .

If this guitar is for you . Mock up how you play,  and where your hands . clothing  etc  may be an issue .  depending on that . it may be fine as is .

Everything else .. you've already over-thought  ;-)

Good luck ;-)

• Thank you for the placement advice! I'll mock up the setup first as you suggested.
      I've adjusted the positioning of the box and refined the blocks inside the box to give some more room for resonation.

•  "Everything else .. you've already over-thought  ;-)"

Ha! Pick, whadaya wanna bet he's an engineer? 

Welcome, Hans. I had to kid, my Dad's a retired engineer. You're gonna love building these things.

• You lost your bet! I'm a software designer.. hahaha But studied architecture in college.. My father was an architect and we were always building stuff together. I inherited his woodworking tools and I'm going to use these tools to build my guitar.

•  I build fretless as well. Gonna try fretting soon, but I don't like to fret. It'll be interesting, no doubt. 

I second that on Del Puckett. He was one of the first that I watched as well Learned a huge amount from him before my first build as well as recently. Jock is right about the beginner's video's, but Del gets rather advanced in his instruction on "tempered" and "Just" intonations and other types of tuning as well as the Golden ratio... Interesting stuff. I bought one of his fretboards that he offered for CBN members awhile back. VERY nice piece. Don't know if he is still doing that.

• Thanks for the advice. I added frets on this one

made some adjustments to the plans and step by step it's getting better :)

• The plans look fine Hans. I would use a fret calculator, Fret Position Calculator | stewmac.com although the fret length you`re using is close to a strat. Oak is great, strong and easy to work with and relatively inexpensive ;)

I`ve used all sorts of wood for boxes but to start with some 2mm ply will do nicely ( especially as your using pick ups)

From the plans it looks like you`re going to use a single coil pickup. But that, piezo and even under saddle pickups all have their merits.

One thing I can guarantee.... you will build one and you will HAVE to build more! It`s a very addictive hobby! 

This reply was deleted.