Can someone help me with a diagram or good description on how to place a rod piezio pickup under the bone?  Does the bone go directly on the pickup or is the pickup in a channel under the saddle?

Also  how does one wire an 1/8 inch plug onto the 1/4 inch jack?  is there a simple wiring diagram available anywhere?

Thanks,

Steve

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• just to build on what Randy said I have found that the closer you get the rod to the strings the better the volume. Especially if you are not using a preamp. So I build some of my bridges with a spacer under rod to bring the rod up a little closer(bone or other bridge material is a bit shorter to bring it closer ) to the string

• 305809093?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Sweet!  Thanks.

Steve

• 305808881?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024When i do my rod bridges, i cut a slot that goes all the way through the bridge base, it`s the same width as the rod about 1/8". The rod sits down in the slot, the bone saddle sits on top of the rod. The rods work from pressure on them from the strings on the saddle. Then i add a piece of veneer to the bottom of the bridge base and drill a small hole for the rod wire to go through. I cut off the 1/8" plug on the wire, fish the hot wire [ plastic coated ] out of the braided wire [ ground ] and solder them up to a regular input jack. Tip ; if you need to cut the rod shorter, cut it on the side, not down from the top. Also test it to make sure it`s working properly before you install it in the bridge base. I do this by having the rod wire set up for soldering, have a jig with 2 alligator clips soldered on a input jack. Clip the wires on the jig and plug the rod in, tap on the rod to see if it`s working correctly. If you look at the pic`s on my page you can see some of the other custom rod bridges i`ve made.

• Randy S. Bretz, when you said "cut on the side, not the top". Are there markings like on a diode or physical characteristic such as a flat spot on a 'LED'? I've never seen one up close, but plan on using them. Also what is the shortest usable length without killing performance?

• Kool dog, there’s an article on cutting rod piezos in the cigarboxguitar.com archives? If you scroll down towards the bottom of this page, there’s a link box to the archives? Cheers  :)

This reply was deleted.