Hi Everybody

I am at the end of the 1st build. My nut is 1 1/2 inches long. Can some one tell me the mesurement to start the 1st groove for the 1st string in the nut? I think the grooves should be a 1/2 inch apart. However  a 1/2 inch for the 1st string or string nearest the top of the neck seems a bit too far in on the nut.

Thanks,

Lennox

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• When using threaded rod for the nut, I center the middle string and just try and space the outer strings between 1/2" and 9/16" out.

306074963?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I do the outer ones first, get em as close to the edges as you can but so they can still be fretted right the way up, then try to fit the rest evenly in betweenn
  • Great info Dan thanks a million, I am getting close!

• Depends on your finger size, I have rather large fingers so on a 3 stringer I measure in from both ends 1/8" - 3/16"  for the 1st and 3rd strings, the 2nd goes dead center which works out at about 3/8" string spacing. A 4 stringer 1/8" in on the ends about 7/16 " spacing. 

• Typo there? I think that 3/8" should come out to 5/8". Or maybe I misunderstood something.

•  

It all depends how far the strings come in from the ends , hince the string spacing.  But since I don`t sale my builds I make the string spacing to fit me. You must take into account the size of the strings used also, a .056 wound string is almost 3/32" . But like Dan said just do the 1st and 3rd strings and put the 2nd dead center.

• Thanks Randy

• depending if it's a three string or four string  just space the strings evenly, this is one of those jobs you'll have to do by eye, measuring invariably gets it wrong... leave a little room at the edges of the fretboard so string will not slide off the edge when fretted. (-:

Montesino

• i since put a curtain hook ring in the headstock as a middle string guide - very Old Timey! (-:

• Thanks Steve!

This reply was deleted.