Hey folks!

I'm about to embark on my first 1 gallon metal can guitar build. I'm also a bit stumped as to how I should mount my piezo strip with such a can build. I've never used piezo's before. I can put the strip on top of the bridge, sandwiched between the metal bridge saddles and the wooden bridge... below the bridge between the wooden bridge and the outside of the metal can... inside the can between the neck wood and the can... 

What would be you folks best advice as to where I should locate my piezo, and why?

This is my can. It's 98 years old, soldered together and only 3" thick... if any of 'that' matters.

Views: 479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The can actually looks much better, in person, than the ebay pics revealed. I also went over it with a damp rag which cleaned up the original graphics quite a bit. It was really dirty in the ebay photo's. I suspect that it will jump to life when I rejuvenate the old, dry paper wrap/graphics with a few coats of clear lacquer. This is a really nice old can. I'm very impressed. The seams are actually 'soldered'! I love that, but please bear in mind. I'm also easily entertained when it comes to antiques and olden day methods. The photo shows the soldered seam of the wrapped can/shell. There's one spot on the seam where someone got a bit sloppy with their solder technique. I love it! It doesn't get any better than this! I'm glad that you didn't beat me to it! This is a sweet old can, indeed!

Attachments:

Was wishing I had bought it, but now I'm glad someone else who appreciates these old things as much as I do, got it. Don't know if you saw this one when you were looking or if I had already bought it, it was my choice before that one.

It's going to be my 2 string "chugger chugger choo choo" lol

If you are using a rod piezo, it needs to be in direct contact with the bridge or saddle, the reason is, unlike discs, the rods don't pick up the vibrations of the box so much, they read the strings much like a mag pup, the conventional method for mounting a rod is to place it in the groove in the bridge where the saddle sits, under the saddle, or you could place it between the bridge and the sound board , once again in a groove in the bridge just a little shallower than the rod so the string vibration is transferred to the rod adequately. Most of what i said there is mainly for a conventional wooden top guitar, but even for your can, the same basics apply, you need to consider a bridge that will accommodate the rod similarly, also, unless you mount the rod internally, which would be bloody difficult in a 1 gal can without cutting it, you will have to make a hole for the cable to go through, for that reason, i would make the guitar and get it intonated with a dummy bridge, then you know where you can drill your hole for the wire and still hide it

Yep, what Darryl said.
Taff

Thanks for the advice/input. I 'think' that I know what I am going to do... at least for now.

I'm personally seeing three pickups, in three different locations... and a six position toggle switch to select which pickup, or combination of pickups will be active at any given time. 

Pickup #1)... Piezo 'strip' in the bridge, directly under the string saddles.

Pickup #2)... Piezo 'disk' mounted into the wood of the neck, inside the can, at the base of the neck where the fretboard ends and the neck joins the can.

Pickup #3)... Piezo 'disk' mounted to the inside of the can, directly to the can, half way between the bridge and the neck pickups. 

This should give me a great deal of choices for tone. I'll obviously have some wiring to do, but that shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish, internally. I'll be using a 7545R Pre-Amp on this build. The hole that I'll need to cut into the can, for mounting the pre-amp unit should give me adequate room/access to deal with the internal wiring. 

Any thoughts or concerns about such a setup?  

Like others have said, those discs , inside a can, will probably need some insulation, whether it's hot glue,wood, leather or whatever, you might need to experiment a bit before you're happy, as directly on the tin they'll be a bit harsh i expect.

Yes Darryl. I understand that. My internal piezo disks will be potted with either hot glue, silicone, or epoxy resin depending on the location and mounting surfaces that I plan to stick them to. I'll be playing with potting mediums to see what sounds good where. Gonna be a fun project, for sure!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
15 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
15 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
16 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
17 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
17 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
19 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
19 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
22 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
yesterday
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
yesterday
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday
Papa D commented on Papa D's photo
Thumbnail

american1 Sun Glo

"Thanx AGP & Doug..  4 more coming soon"
yesterday

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->