Hullo Folks. I have a small question regarding a rod piezo bridge/saddle that I intend to make.I noticed that Chickenbone John when he makes his, it is a small shaped block of solid wood with the piezo rod embedded inside with a bone saddle on top and another builder makes what is basically a wooden surround for the piezo with a saddle on top of the rod with the rod effectively sitting on top of the sound board.Does it matter if the rod is actually resting on the sound board, is it better if it is encompassed in a solid block,ala Chickenbone John style or does it make no difference at all?...

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In the bridge designs mentioned, either slotted or routed, Is the saddle the same thickness as the rod piezo? I did get a rod piezo from cb gitty and it's just shy of 1/8" thick. Is 1/8" too thin for a corian saddle?

• 1/8" corian saddles work fine.  Just make sure the saddle has enough play to move freely.  If it is too tight, the vibration does not transfer to the piezo.

• Nope doesn`t matter...as long as the slot in the wood base is the same width as the rod [ so it doesn`t rock ] and the saddle sets flat on the rod.306242736?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Mojobone Works Custom bridges

• Mojobone Works - Custom Rod Bridge`s

• Works of art, Randy, works of art.

• +1

• 306244006?profile=originalOK - finally got a pic - this is just a mock up but....
    I glue up a block like this, the middle piece would be just a little longer than what your rod will be.
    Then the other pieces are to your taste for size, they add interest and strength.
    On a router table I route the slot for the rod at what ever depth I want for the rod plus bridge material.
    Then I cut that piece off - plus I drill an 1/8" hole at one end for the wire.
    and then repeat the routing process and then cut that off until the piece gets so small that my fingers get nervous.  I would probably get six bridges out of this piece.

• Excellent!  Let me ask this - - in lieu of using a router after gluing up the stack, could a suitable groove be cut (actually a series of suitable width grooves for a 'production' effort like this) the full length of the middle piece, then the end pieces glued on?  I guess it would mean square corner in the slot, but might give your fingers less stress!  Just a thought - - I like this concept a lot!

GW

• Hey Gary - I did try that method the first time and it turned out, for me, to be a lot more screwing around.

This reply was deleted.