Replies

• Soldering takes practice.

Heating the wire and the terminal and then applying the solder is often recommended letting the solder melt and flow to the heat. If those items are heated to long though, solder can drip all over and lead to shorts or overheating damage to components can occur. Heating the solder then applying to the wire and terminal can lead to cold solder joints if not done right.

Practice  practice practice. 

• sorry for the dumb question Jon, but does this amp make the same noise if you pull the plug out of the git?

• It does make some noise. It's doesn't make the same level of noise.
      • 1) try another instrument cable or 2, I have a small growing pile of 'dead' noisy cables cause my band mates keep walking on them during practice and shows....

2) with a 'good' cable and no instrument, try to EQ the noise out of the amp.

this will at least eliminate other sources as you chase this down....

• Thank you. I will keep trying and let you know...I appreciate the help. Probably will end up trying a different switch as Wayfinder described or eliminate the switch completely. But before I do I will try a resistor as well as other cables as you mentioned here...nice eq idea as well. Thanks!
          • It sounds like a defective switch. Sometimes soldering wires to the jack will drop little beads of solder in between the insulators and grounding the jack, so make sure that's not the issue.

• I will check . Thank you. This type of switch has had this problem before but I'm not so great at soldering so I appreciate the feedback
    • Haven't yet...I will check tonight
  • You could try a high value resistor across the jack, like 10Meg?  It would definitely cut down on the volume, unless it was high enough... Wayfinder's suggestion of the SPDT switch, and just ground the "off" position is spot-on.

• another idea,[i think], might be to fit a small LED light inside the box to go on when the switch is in the off position,completing the circuit

This reply was deleted.