Hey guys, appologies if this has been covered but there are a LOT of discussion to file through.
I've been experimenting with piezo elements to amplify one of my CBG's and a mic and i get the same issue with both...they feedback like a bitch!
I've tried a couple of variations of tape, glue etc and i can reduce the hiss but when im anywhere near my amp i just get acres of squeal!!
is there any particular method of attachment or placement that im missing out on?
thanks in advance
dom

Views: 5313

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have noticed that with my piezo-equipped guitars they are sensitive to being too close to the amp. Why this is I don't really know....
Since you have to adjust the amp now and then, you can either put the CBG down or wire in a volume control....

Then you can roll down to a low level if you have to get close to the amp.
Tinyguitars has used hot glue to mount the piezo. Puts aglob of hot glue down then puts piezo in glue, the covers it in hot glue. I have bought 3-4 guitars from him and never had trouyble with feed back.
Dear Double D,

First of all , yes, this subject has been addressed ad abnauseum.... I just used the search feature for "piezo feedback" and was rewarded with 7 pages of hits (probably over 80 distinct posts) full of information.

The question of feedback of a piezo pup is... assuming a typical installation under the lid/top, feedback can be greatly reduced if the ceramic back of the piezo is encased with some "cushioning" material (hot glue, foam, silicone caulk, even a lay of wood).

You will find all the help you need here. Much of it already exists. If you can't find it on the search function (extreme top and right of each page), by all means ask.

Hope this helps,
the best,

Wichita Sam
Is that pick-up on the outside of the box? My brain might have it wrong. I'd try it on the inside of the box. i use a piece of foam rubber to press the piezo against the lid and give it some isloation. The piezo really just acts as a mic. And using foam gives you more of a chance to experiment, If you cover it in glue and it doesnt help, well then . . . . Are you having issues with hum? If that is the case you need to solder it better.
cool, lots to try here guys thanks much for the advice.
i'll let you know how i get on
dom
Roll your peizo up in a hanky....it dampens things out and gives it more of a low end sound. Also, peizo's don't like feed back, gain or distoration, they are more for clean playing I would say.......I am running into the same problem with my new diddley bow that is driven by a speaker. It likes to squeal, when you think of it, a mic, peizo, and speaker are all kinda the same thing, so when you get to close to your amp, you are bound for trouble. I hope the hanky roll helps on yours, It did mine.
i have been putting the piezo between two pieces of thin wood and that has been working good for me, the first build i just used the piezo without a volume control and it worked great no feedback but the second build i wired in a volume pot with the piezo and i get i buzzing sound if i don't have the volume turned up to 9 or 10 on the cbg ,does anyone know why this is happening?
"cold solder joint"... resolder and it will probably go away...

jason peterson said:
i have been putting the piezo between two pieces of thin wood and that has been working good for me, the first build i just used the piezo without a volume control and it worked great no feedback but the second build i wired in a volume pot with the piezo and i get i buzzing sound if i don't have the volume turned up to 9 or 10 on the cbg ,does anyone know why this is happening?
This bridge is 2 pieces of wood sandwiched together. There is a slight cavity in the middle and the piezo is in the cavity surrounded by an acrylic compound that dries to a rubbery consistency. There is a small hole in the bottom for the leads to come out of and the whole bottom is covered in a paper thin piece of foam rubber. This causes it to resist box/body noise and pickup string vibration with less feedback and noise.

Not sure if anyone suggested this, but one of my friendly CBNation pals suggested to me that I use a balled up page out of a newspaper inside the box. The last CBG I finished, my 23rd total, played great and sounded great but had enough feedback to shoot me to the moon. I tried it, balled it up loosely to where it just makes enough contact with the lid to stay in place...I can crank up the volume and NO FEEDBACK. That, along with my usual encasing the piezo in walnut,is now my standard for all of my build that have a piezo pickup in them. Hope that helps. Good luck!!
Not sure, but stuffing the box with balled up newspaper probably kills any acoustic volume... It's clear why it works, it insulates the open back of the piezo from ambient sound waves, which when they gain amplitude, causes feedback.

But, when it is so easy to limit feedback in ways that don't kill acoustic volume of the instrument, why not do it a better way?

No rules,
JMHO,

the best,

Wichita Sam

Travis "SlackJack" Woodall said:
Not sure if anyone suggested this, but one of my friendly CBNation pals suggested to me that I use a balled up page out of a newspaper inside the box. The last CBG I finished, my 23rd total, played great and sounded great but had enough feedback to shoot me to the moon. I tried it, balled it up loosely to where it just makes enough contact with the lid to stay in place...I can crank up the volume and NO FEEDBACK. That, along with my usual encasing the piezo in walnut,is now my standard for all of my build that have a piezo pickup in them. Hope that helps. Good luck!!
Which are you referring to?

Wichita Sam said:
Not sure, but stuffing the box with balled up newspaper probably kills any acoustic volume... It's clear why it works, it insulates the open back of the piezo from ambient sound waves, which when they gain amplitude, causes feedback.

But, when it is so easy to limit feedback in ways that don't kill acoustic volume of the instrument, why not do it a better way?

No rules,
JMHO,

the best,

Wichita Sam

Travis "SlackJack" Woodall said:
Not sure if anyone suggested this, but one of my friendly CBNation pals suggested to me that I use a balled up page out of a newspaper inside the box. The last CBG I finished, my 23rd total, played great and sounded great but had enough feedback to shoot me to the moon. I tried it, balled it up loosely to where it just makes enough contact with the lid to stay in place...I can crank up the volume and NO FEEDBACK. That, along with my usual encasing the piezo in walnut,is now my standard for all of my build that have a piezo pickup in them. Hope that helps. Good luck!!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources


Forum

Box thickness effect on sound

Started by Infirmity Citrus President in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Jul 31. 3 Replies

Ghost pickup

Started by Michael shrader in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Taffy Evans Jul 29. 5 Replies

Files download

Started by David Herrera in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Jul 14. 9 Replies

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

The Slingers

"You could be right Uncle John! I decided we needed a picture of the group and my brother was able…"
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Sixteen Tons: 3-String Surf SLG License Plate Guitar (Not a Cigar Box Guitar)

"I appreciate the good words AGP! I’m grateful for a group that continues to expand my musical…"
1 hour ago
W.M. Peterson commented on W.M. Peterson's video
Thumbnail

Shake that thing

"Thanks Uncle John for the nice comment "
2 hours ago
Poorness Studios posted a video

Sundown (low-budget cover on CBG & kazoo)

I decided to do a super "low-budget" performance this morning. This is the first time I've tried this particular song on 4-string CBG and kazoo so it's a lit...
3 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

The Slingers

"This would be a good album cover,"
3 hours ago
Uncle John commented on W.M. Peterson's video
Thumbnail

Shake that thing

"Great to hear this one again.  Pretty true to the Oh-riginal.   Nice job, good hat…"
3 hours ago
W.M. Peterson liked Gary O'slide's video
5 hours ago
W.M. Peterson posted a video
5 hours ago
AGP # liked GARAGE HERMIT's photo
11 hours ago
AGP # liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
11 hours ago
AGP # liked Doug Thorsvik's photo
11 hours ago
AGP # commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
11 hours ago

Music

© 2022   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->